1 | The Shadows of Death

Start from the beginning

This world shall bow before me.

A mighty force swept the land, tearing apart the ground. Chunks of earth dislodged and went flying. Buildings crumbled to pieces as a forceful gust of wind billowed around Azrael. He closed his eyes with a deep sigh. The terrified screams of the humans were therapeutic, a delightful symphony to his ears. With everything collapsing to dust, there'd be nowhere to hide and nowhere to escape to. No one would be safe in his presence.

All life eventually came to an end. Death was inevitable and picked no favorites in its twisted game. The great demon, Azrael, would show the humans just how unforgiving and brutal this world could be.

Once everything fell silent, he looked down for any sign of life remaining. He descended to the remnants of the village to get an up-close look at his handiwork. He stood at its center, admiring the death and destruction everywhere. How easily the ants fell. He'd thought after all this time, they would be stronger and yet, they folded in a single moment.

Blood stained the corpse and debris-laden ground. Azrael let out an irritated noise when he stepped in a bit of brain splatter on the concrete. He scraped off his shoe then continued to walk, his footsteps echoing in the quiet.

The displeasure was evident. "The effects of the seal still have my powers drained... How bothersome." Azrael stared at his open palms, paying special attention to the silver ring on his left ring finger. His hard gaze softened momentarily and he sighed as he balled his hands into fists. "No matter. I still have more than enough to get me by for now."

Azrael's face scrunched up as he heard groans and movement behind him. He turned his head to see a man trying to crawl out from under fallen rubble. Blood dripped down his face and he struggled to get free.

"Please, help me." His voice was raspy from the dust still clouding the area.

"Why would I help a human?" Azrael asked, not bothering to face him.

"Please. I'm begging you." The man's eyes filled with tears. He was in so much pain and distress.

"You're begging me?" The demon repeated, narrowing his eyes as he looked out in the distance. Such a concept made him sick. He pivoted to face the dying man, revealing his heavily-pierced face. "So revolting, you humans. To have to come groveling at my feet without so much as a shred of dignity disgusts me." His hand glowed with a dark aura and he sliced through the air, effectively killing the man. His blood splattered onto Azrael's cloak much to his annoyance.

With his foot, he rolled the body over to get a better look at the human scum that had so pathetically begged for his life. Clearly things had gotten worse in his absence. The humans were even weaker than he could have possibly imagined, but yet the demons still failed to take this land over.

Azrael looked around, assessing the destroyed village. This would have to do as his empire for now. With a bit of time, he could transform this trash heap into something worthy of him.

He continued to walk through the remnants of the village and stopped short, seeing an arm sticking out under a pile of rubble. As he drew closer, Azrael noticed the sliver of silver on the slender finger. Seizing the opportunity, he snatched the ring from the dead woman and with a satisfied nod, pocketed the jewelry.

He placed a hand over his chest as the faintest hint of a smile tugged on his lips. As quickly as it formed, it vanished.

"Come on! We have to get back to Liones!" A woman's voice said from not too far away.