Chapter 4-2

A few minutes later, Isla was pulling up to the imposing three-story mansion that had been here since before she was born. Her wet hair had dripped down her cotton tank top so that it looked like her nipples had been leaking. Working through the cringe that gripped her chest, she got out of the car.

Flip-flops, sweat shorts, and wet hair completed the ensemble she would wear on her inaugural visit to the newly renovated packhouse. Keeping her now dark copper locks still saturated with lake water in front of her shoulders to partially hide her sopping wet boobs was about as classy as she could make herself. She would have much preferred to change before she saw Alpha Alec, but it was safer to get there as quickly as possible. At least she wasn't dirty this time.

The AC hit hard as she entered through the door, making her nipples painfully erect and causing the parts of her that were still wet to become uncomfortable and itchy. The awkwardness she felt when she exited the car had grown with every step, despite her thinking she can't feel any worse.

But it wasn't just the temperature and the lack of dry clothing that caused the chill. This place didn't look the same. She hadn't been in here since the alpha changed over. The warm colors and light wood finishes were gone. Marble tiles and industrial light fixtures now donned the entry hall. What had been cluttered and soft was now modern and streamlined. The place looked bigger and the cool grey and white tones gave a crisp feeling that did not help counter the goose bumps that covered her.

She jumped when she heard footsteps approach. Her head snapped towards the sound to catch him practically charging her, eyes glaring, mouth scowling. Her breath hitched as she saw how Alpha Alec earned his reputation. Fear rolled through her, but also a fresh wave of humility. What did she do to deserve such reproach?

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?" Alpha Alec yelled at her.

Isla flinched. He told her to come to the packhouse and she came. Was she supposed to use a back door? The servants entry? Wait outside? Perhaps she was too casual with a house she used to freely enter throughout her childhood. 

"You're going to have to be a bit more specific on that." She struggled with how that sounded, and then in desperation, added, "Sir." His breathing remained strained, so she tried again, "Alpha." Without any lessening of his rage, she tried yet again, "Alpha Alec." She paused, unable to continue with her confusion. She had no answer for him, she didn't know what he was referring to, and she had run out of respectful ways to address him.

"You left the territory. With a threat against you." Alpha Alec continued to use a voice that reverberated throughout the inside of the packhouse. The floral fabric the previous luna had picked out would have absorbed some of the impact. His favored décor, like him, seemed to want to project anger more than suppress it.

"I did. I did leave the territory." Isla, genuinely confused but also annoyed with this line of questioning.

"I don't think you should be getting irritated with the alpha," Kara piped in.

"Why not? He's on the verge of being a complete ass." Isla snapped at her wolf. "I don't understand what the hell he's upset about."

"I'd like to not be killed today." Kara bit back, genuinely interested in where the conversation was going.

Alpha Alec looked her up and down as if for the first time. If it was possible, his expression hardened even more when he saw her nipples trying to tear through her tank top, as if they were about to start engraving the furniture in the packhouse. "What were you doing?" His voice was lower, slower, but almost more frightening to hear.

"I went for a swim." OK, it's apparent but also sounds suspicious as wolves generally hate swimming. They love the water, but to actually swim in it is unusual.