"Sir—"

Draco dismounted, and Oliver and the others followed suit. "I can just leave instead. I care little about your King's crown and poorly-mannered city."

The guards became agitated, and their hands reached for their swords. However, the guard who was addressing Draco bowed again. "Please, we do not wish to insult you. However, we are responsible for your noble lives and refuse to risk anything."

Draco looked around at his men, who were upset but waiting for his orders. He then rested on Oliver. However, Oliver was not focused on Draco's gaze but behind their procession. Palace assassins were hiding in the crowd behind them.  

"We're surrounded," Oliver whispered.

"Fuck." Draco glared at the guards. He closed his eyes and decided to comply for now. "Stop wasting time with your groveling. Show us the way."

The guard nodded. "I will happily lead the Rucrean representatives to the Golden Lion estates.  My cohorts will escort the Abrorgeans and Osmelans to their estates."

He turned and started to lead Draco. 

Draco stood close to Oliver as they followed behind. "Do you think you can slip away?"

Oliver checked his surroundings.  There were still assassins hiding in the crowd, but they had split up to follow the other kingdoms' representatives.  Oliver nodded. It would be possible.

"Then go, but I will only give you one night to bring them out or send word to me. If I do not see you in the morning, I will break down the Kardos' door to find you." Draco warned. 

Oliver chuckled. "I promise."

Draco grabbed his hand and held it tightly. "I mean it, Oli."

"I know," Oliver smiled and tightened his hold on Draco's hand briefly. "I'll see you soon."

He slowed his steps and let the other Rucreans pass him. He melted into the group and moved slowly to the side. He kept his eyes on a clothing shop with wares on the side of the road.  One woman was looking at a cape, letting the breeze pick it up.  Oliver stepped behind the fluttering cape and out of the assassins' view.

He turned while no one was paying attention and slipped a blue cape off the rack. He discreetly wrapped it over his shoulders and walked into the crowd. 

He kept his footsteps light and in pace with the mingling crowd, avoiding standing out. He started to move through less busy roads and began to hurry his steps.  Sometimes, he would run through the alleys, ensuring no one was following him. 

He finally reached the walls of the Kardos manor and was exhausted. The city was massive, and he had doubled the length of his journey by taking every precaution to avoid someone following him. 

He went toward the back of the estate with thick foliage coverage and climbed the wall.  Before jumping over it, he watched the manor.

It was quiet, with a few guards walking the perimeter. He watched the house for a while, his eyes peeled on the balcony of his old room. When the guards had passed, he climbed over the wall and rushed to the manor.  He scaled the vines that crept up the exterior and pulled himself onto his balcony. He crouched in the corner and listened for any noises but was greeted with more silence.  

He snuck into the room. It had become stale in the room, only visited when it needed to be cleaned. However, it wasn't his concern.  He opened the door to peek into the hallway, but it was also empty.

Oliver felt uneasy.  Not only was the silence uncommon, but there was something else in the air... fear.

When Oliver stepped into the hallway, he could practically taste the fear in the manor.