twenty-one. ring the alarm

ANTEBELLUM: XXI

ANTEBELLUM: XXI

RAMSEY BIANCHI

MIDTOWN SCIENCE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS WERE ALL BUNDLED UP OUTSIDE THE BUILDING, PARAMEDICS AND POLICE OFFICERS WERE CHECKING UP ON EVERYONE WHILE ALSO TAKING STATEMENTS. Hazel's eyes made contact with a platinum-blonde girl wearing a cream coat, I hurriedly made my way toward Gwen, who was dialing someone on her phone. Drops of sweat rolled down the side of my face as I pushed everyone out of my way, Connor took out his notepad before starting to interrogate every student who was willing to talk. Gwen spun around at the sound of my heavy footsteps, I was still wearing my track shorts with the school's P.E. shirt.

"Ramsey? -Hey! Peter?" Gwen quickly cut herself off just as Peter picked up the phone call, I stared at her with worried eyes. "Where are you?"

"Can I talk to him?" I pleaded, my heart throbbing at the thought of him being injured or going after that giant lizard, Gwen held out a finger.

"He's fine. He's in the sewers, tracking him." Gwen passed on the message, but her words did nothing to calm my nerves over Peter. "Yes, I do it all the time at OsCorp."

I paid close attention to their conversation, not having a clue what was going on, but I was determined to help in any way I could. "What-What's in OsCorp? Is the lizard going over there?"

Gwen stared at me with her big blue eyes, behind her blue curtains there was a new emotion, and I'm certain I've never seen Gwen look so fearless and determined in my life. My best friend has always been a good girl, focusing on her studies and leading a tranquil life, I was the opposite, which sometimes had me wondering how exactly did we become best friends?

"Okay, got it. On my way." Gwen hung up, she looked around as if to check no one was paying attention to us before pulling me by the arm. "Let's go help your boyfriend."

I frowned as we hurriedly walked side by side, the school fading behind us as we made our way to OsCorp. "He's not my boyfriend-and will you care to explain to me what's going on? What's in OsCorp?"

Gwen sighs, glancing at me before whistling at a taxi. "The antidote."

"Wow, uh, the antidote for what?" I asked, feeling so out of place.