sixteen. caught red-handed

CHAPTER SIXTEEN: XVI

CONNOR WALKER

THE WORK AREA WAS BUZZING, EVERYBODY WAS MAKING CALLS WHILE WATCHING THE LIVE BROADCAST ON THE WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE. I stare at the TV screen with wide eyes, my chest filling with terror as the cameraman got a closer shot of the greenish lizard who looked like he was on a rampage. Gasps filled the open room as the lizard began smashing and throwing cars over the bridge before making its way to a near bus, people were still boarding off.

"Oh my god, that's a school bus." Hazel gasped, her hand covering her mouth in utter fright.

"They won't make it out in time, Jesus," Kai stresses, he fell back on his seat as he stares with impeding anticipation.

I shook my head before running a hand over my already messy blond hair, tension, and anxiety hung heavily in the air, and every reporter, editor, and photographer stopped working. Everybody watched with utter suspense, wanting and not wanting to know the fate of those kids, I chew on my bottom lip with a racing heart.

The lizard slammed his hands on either side of the school bus, we watched as some kids fell on the pavement while others were stuck in the bus. "He's going to throw them off the bridge," I whispered in realization, the lizard began to move over to the edge of the bridge. "He-He's going to throw a bus full of kids off the bridge."

Hazel let out a shaky breath while Kai just looked away, his face paling as he squeezed his eyes, none wanting to witness the death of innocent kids. The lizard abruptly let go of the bus, luckily the bus fell on top of the railings, the camera moved toward the lizard and zoomed in. The animal was clawing at its face furiously before the camera move to the left, an uproar of cheers filled the room as the camera fixated its attention on the Spider-guy.

I let out a triumphant yell, hugging my coworker Hazel. "He made it!"

"Go spider!"

"Conney! Hazel! Kai!" I scowl at the way he purposely messed up my name, I turn to stare at the boss. "What the hell are you still doing here? Are you waiting for an invitation? That spider-ling is out there, and I want pictures!"