twenty. spider vs lizard

ANTEBELLUM: XX

ANTEBELLUM: XX

PETER PARKER

STUDENTS WALKED BY, ALL PLUNGE INTO THEIR OWN LITTLE WORLDS AS THEY MADE THEIR WAY TOWARD THE CAFETERIA OR THE SCHOOLYARD. Brown eyes scanned the myriad of bodies, trying to spot a particular Latina but there was no luck. I frown, head moving from left to right before I eventually gave up and instead turn to face the locker, maybe Ramsey was already at the schoolyard. I unzip my schoolbag, getting out a few notebooks I didn't need before shutting the locker's door just in time as a pair of footsteps came my way. I turn around with a smile, but instead of meeting with a pair of hazel eyes, I met with big blue eyes, and my smile turns into a frown.

"Hey...?" The greeting came out as a question, and Gwen's smile brighten almost teasingly.

"Hey to you too. How's our friendly neighborhood doing?" Gwen came to a stop in front of me, thick books smooshing against her chest as she hugged them close.

"Wha—oh! You mean... yeah." I chuckle, shrugging as I lean on the locker. "Great! Everything's great. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, have you seen Ramsey; did she skip a day or something?"

A crease formed in between Gwen's thick eyebrows, eyes clouded by confusion. "Didn't she tell you?"

Now it was my turn to furrow my eyebrows as I asked her. "Tell me what?"

"The Nationals Outdoor?" Gwen blurted, my eyebrows immediately relaxed as realization dawned on me. "Track competition? Ring any bells?"

I let out a sigh as my mind recalled last night, a lot could've happened that night but instead, it turned into a night of revelation. Ramsey trusted me with her past and fears, she allowed me to see her vulnerable state, and Peter felt privileged to do so since everybody knew how reserved Ramsey Bianchi is.  "I thought Track competitions weren't until the weekend."