thirteen. I'll be there for you

ANTEBELLUM: XIII

ANTEBELLUM: XIII

RAMSEY BIANCHI

THE MORNING STARTED YOUTHFULLY, THE SKY WAS A CLEAR BLUE WITH NO CLOUDS AND THE SUN SHINED THE BRIGHTEST. A wave of serenity and peace washed over me as I stare through the window, feeling the warmth of the sun's rays as they kissed my skin. A smile rested on my features as I stared at the neighborhood, one of our neighbors walked down the sidewalk with their dog. Taking a deep breath, I turn around and grabbed my schoolbag and my phone.

I made my way down the stairs before jumping over the last two, I heard the news playing as I enter the kitchen. Aunt Ivanna talked over the phone while Ethan and Connor were eating breakfast, "Good morning, fellas."

I smiled brightly while reaching for a bowl and a spoon, Aunt Ivana smiled at me and kissed my cheek before resuming her chatter. Connor passed me the cereal and the milk, "What's with you today?"

I took a seat on the chair next to him and served myself breakfast, Ethan glanced at me with a knowing smirk. "We're alive and well, we should be happy because of this."

Connor nodded slowly, his eyes narrowing as he tried to read me. "You know, whenever something good happens to you." He swallows. "You go all Gandhi on us."

Ethan snorted, "That's literally the exact same thing she said to me on the elevator." I shot him an annoyed look while his smirk only grew wider, he leans closer to us. "Does this sudden happiness... have to do with you having a date with Mr. Parker?"

I rolled my eyes at them before munching at my cereal, "Fuck off. The both of you." I swallowed before glaring at them. "Can't a woman be happy without having to tell?"

Both Connor and Ethan share a 'not surprised' look, before they could pester me further on, the sound of a gasp and glass shattering interrupted our childish banter. The three of us glance over at Aunt Ivana who wore a frightened look, Connor was quick to react as he made his way toward her just as her knees buckle beneath her.

"Mom! What's wrong?" Connor asks, clearly worried. Ethan jumped to his feet as he helped Connor guide their mother to the nearest seat, I took in her disturbed state.

"Should I call for help?" Ethan asked his older brother, Aunt Ivana shook her head.

"Mom, if it's something serious you have to tell us," Connor demanded.

I followed her line of sight, not even realizing what a mistake it was.

"See it for yourselves," I mumble, my heart was broken in two, Connor and Ethan follow my line of sight.