1

Raksha's POV

"Am I welcome inside?" came a voice from behind the closed door. 

It slightly opened. Our Grandpa drove inside my room and stopped his wheelchair next to me. I was staring at the photograph of me and my big brothers, taken on new year last year. It was hung on the wall ever since. Even though our Grandpa (or Dadu as we like to call him) and I are ages apart, there's one thing we share in common. Our personal four wheel drives. Dadu had it when he turned seventy five and me, when I was ten. It evolved from the normal wheelchair to this. Yes, I was born different. One reason why my parents hate me so much. The other, I am a girl. Yes I never got my parents love and care but definitely got so much love, care and everything nice unconditionally all the time from our Dadu and of course my big brothers.

"Are you missing them so much?" asked Dadu accompanying me in staring at them. 

"Ever since they left home Dadu. Its been a  year and a half. They promised to reach a week before my birthday", I chirped happily like a bird.

"Is it so. The happiness on your face is all I want to see", Dadu said holding my hand.

I held his hand tight leaning on his shoulder.

"Papa, time for breakfast!" came a loud grumpy voice followed by several knocks on the door, leaving it open.

"Dadu, was your son so serious as a child?"

"He was okay but as he grew older, he turned out to be someone I did not know much".

Dadu was sad. Papa stomped and stood outside the room with his death glare on me.

"Do you need a special invitation?"

"Be nice to your daughter Ranjan Kapoor", Dadu scolded his son.

"She is a mistake. Not my daughter".

This was not the first time I had heard that. In fact it was an everyday thing to hear certain names from my parents.

"Come on Dadu, let's eat. You have to take your medicines". I smiled.

Dadu knew I was broken but he smiled along. We drove our wheelchairs to the table. Ma and Papa were already waiting for us. Ma served Dadu, Papa and herself and chomped on her toast. Dadu served me triggering a nerve inside Papa.

"Thank you Dadu".

"Welcome dear".

I hugged him before eating.

"Raksha, your hands can move! Eat by yourself!"

"Be quiet son. If I looked after you the way you and Reema look after my granddaughter, you would not have survived. Now stop bothering her. Eat and behave". Dadu scolded his son again.

I did not know what I would have done without our Grandpa. He always had my back. He knew my parents were unfair to me. He and my big brothers are the only reason I am alive. Rahul bhaiyya and Rohan bhaiyya. My R and R. My whole world which includes Dadu. I wonder when they will land from London. Dadu and I missed them like crazy. We had so much fun when they were home last year. We have been counting days for their arrival since then. 

*

I marked a big red cross on October fifth on the calendar. Five more days to go for October tenth. I drove to Dadu's room, opened the drawer and gave him his medicines. He was about to take his afternoon nap.

"Medicine time" I kept the medicine in his mouth and handed a glass of water, helpling Dadu to hold it. 

"I am glad we are there to take care of each other".