Section 8

"I've got a much better aim then you my dear" Jackson aims his pistol at the target infront of him.

"Ehhhh! No you don't!" I aim my rifle at the target too, and get my stance right.

"Ready!...... FIRE!" Lance shouts, me and Jackson shoot at the circular targets on the side wall in the testing room.

Once we've fired all we've got Lance comes over with a tablet ready to make reports on the guns, I take off my protective headphones (which we don't exactly need but it's safety precautions) and wrap them around my neck as does Jackson. "Nadine, what did you think of the rifle?" I hold the rifle in my hands weighing it.

"Well," I start pondering on what to say. "It shot well and was accurate but it's a bit heavy it's not bad but while in combat it may not be the best when on foot. It's made of good material but it doesn't have anything to stop the water getting in and if the water gets in, it wouldn't do too much but the gun could falter. Erm that's all." Lance nods while typing down the rest of my report.

"Right thank you Nadine. Jackson tell me about the pistol please." Jackson begins to tell Lance about the pistol while I set the rifle in its holder.

It's the initiates last day of initiation today were they will be facing there fears in front of the panel. I can remember when I had to do that, it was awful! It was more the invasion of privacy then fighting my fears ok front of them but I'm in Dauntless now so no need to worry. I want Penny to do well nothing has come between us since Max's office but I know the hatred is still there and I know it always will be even though I don't deserve it.

Jackson walks over the small pistol in his hands, he sets the weapon in it's holder and we walk out of the room together. I like testing new and improved weapons it's fun and it improves our skills, we walk into the main Weapons Bay area where Hugh is on the call phone. Which is basically the phone where people ring if something has malfunctioned, so one of us goes up to fix it.

Hugh looks at me and Jackson and beckons us over, I grab Jackson's hand and guide him over to Hugh. "Right okay I'll send two up." Hugh puts down the phone and turns to me and Jackson. "Right the Fear Landscape has malfunctioned and obviously it's the important ones today so I need you two to go up and fix it. Quick."

"Right so do you know how its malfunctioned?" Jackson asks,

"Four didn't give me many details."

"Right" I nod and look at Jackson,

"Your carrying the tool box." I say to him,

"What! No!" He retorts.

"I've got a sore arm!"

"Carry it with your other arm!"

"No I can't!"

"Fine!"Giving in Jackson walks towards where the tool kits are kept.

"This is gonna be a long walk!" I huff and walk away from Hugh toward the steel stairs that take us to the changing rooms.

Me and Jackson have to walk from the lowest point of the compound to the highest point in the compound, that's a hell of a lot of stairs. We make our way through the pit and up the stairs that will take us to the glass ceiling, we walk quickly as this is pretty important.

"You go through first." Jackson pushes me to the door when we finally reach it.

"No." I say back,

"I've got the thing! Go!" Jackson pushes me into the door with a thump and it opens. I stumble through all eyes on me, I feel my face heat up, I look back at Jackson who is sniggering at my beautiful entrance.

Four walks over a smirk playing on his features, "Are you two here to fix the computers?" He asks.

"Yup, what's happened?" Jackson follows Four to the computers and I follow too.

"I really don't know what's happened to it but it just stopped loading the fears and the monitor stopped working." I look at the computers confused trying to work out what has happened. Jackson opens a hatch which is full with wires and buttons he studies them, I would help but he is more than capable as this is his calling.

I look around the room and I see Penny her hands are clenched together, she's nervous. She always used to do that when she was nervous, I look to the front row where Max and a few of the other Leaders sit, and then I spot Eric who is looking over at us. He catches me looking at him I quickly look away back to Jackson, I haven't talked to Eric since the glass roof and that's been like a week or so.

"Got it!" Jackson says louder than I expected I walk over to him and look at the hatch.

"What is it?" I ask him,

"One of the wires is twisted it's easy to fix, Nadine can you pass me some pliers?" Jackson orders, I grab the pliers that happen to be in my pocket. Jackson begins to twist the wire to its proper place, I just stand like an ultimate toe while I wait for him to twist it to its proper position. Jackson closes and locks the hatch, "I think it's done, Nadine can you turn it on please." I walk over to the computer and begin to turn it on, I'm not sure what it's supposed to do but I think it's working as things begin to flicker onto the screen.

"Four is this working?" I say hoping that he's in hearing distance. I look to my side to see Four looking at the screens he nods his head in satisfaction.

"It's working. Thanks guys." Four begins to type things into the computer I leave his side and walk towards the door. Jackson is close behind me with the tool box which we didn't need, we nod our heads at the people in the room and leave.

******

"Are you partying tonight?" Jackson asks me while we walk down the Weapons Bay stairs.

"Erm, I'm not sure maybe but Tash will be with Alex and you will be after Sarah so I'll just walk around." I say to him.

"We need to get you a boyfriend, Eric?" I scoff,

"What makes you say that? I doubt that he would ever like me!" I say loudly.

"Don't tell me you don't like him Nadine, its obvious you do, and he likes you back the way he looks at you is a way he doesn't look at anyone else! He adores you! You guys also seem pretty close lately so I thought you would get even closer, if you know what I mean." Jackson wiggles his eyebrows and I can't help but laugh.

"Out of all the girls in the compound I'm probably the last one he wants to do anything with."

I think about what I just said and it begins to upset me as I'm probably am the last person he would want to do anything with. But what if Jackson is right about the way he looks at me, I've never noticed the way he looks at me personally but maybe he does like me. But that's just wishful thinking.