Section 2

I fix my goggles on my head after I close my apartment door, I don't bother locking it as Tash is still inside happily sleeping as she doesn't have to work until 12:30 and it's only 8:10 now. Before I leave the corridor my apartments in, I check my jeans to see if all my tools are strapped on, as I think I'm making stuff today.

I walk through the stone corridors and down a short flight of stairs before I reach the Chasm, I stop and lean over the railings closing my eyes, listening to the soothing sound of water over stone.

"MAM STOP! STOP!"

I hear my younger self shout making all the memories flood back into my mind. I hold my head pressing my fingers in to my temples and try to think of something else, I try to focus on the sound of water over stone forcing the memories to go away. I feel a strong hand on my shoulder and I jump and fling my head up to see who it is, its Max he looks at like he's scanning my features to see if I'm alright. "Nadine, Are you alright?" He asks in his deep voice taking his hand off my shoulder. I look at his face and I try to push back the stinging in my eyes.

"Yeah I'm fine." I breath out trying to sound casual.

"Well, are you going for breakfast?" He then asks, what does he want?

"Yeah I am." I don't dare ask him why I'd rather not get in trouble by Max.

"Ahhhh can you give this to Eric please he will be there." Max hands me a white envelope I take it from him and shove it in my belt. "Don't open it." His voice suddenly goes stern and I nod quickly.

"I won't, I'll give the..... the..... erm..... the letter! Straight to Eric if and when I see him." Max nods and says a quick thank you and then leaves. I walk away from the chasm towards the Cafeteria.

When I go through the stone arch I go straight to the cantine and get a breakfast bar, bottle of water and half a piece of toast with a thin layer of margarine on. I stand and look around the large room, it's not as packed as usual only the Fence guards, weapons bay workers or just the early birds get up this early for breakfast. I scan the area left to right trying to find a spot to sit in, I see the back of a broad man with tattoos on his forearms. Its Eric, I know him when I see him because I'm such a perv.

I begin to walk slowly over to him, he isn't sitting on the leaders table so it's much more easy to approach him. I keep looking down at my plate to make sure my piece of toast hasn't fluw off like it's done many time before. I'm about 5 metres away from the table, trying to figure out if I sit next to him or opposite him. I decide opposite. I walk around the table and sit opposite him, he doesn't notice me at first so I begin to eat my toast, I look at him waiting for him to look at me. He suddenly looks up and stares obviously confused, I don't know what to do! "I have something for you." I say to him trying to make it less awkward between us, he looks at me and cocks his eyebrow.

"You do?" His voice is deep and husky, I try very hard not to react as he just asked me a question.

"Erm" Is all I can get out,

"Erm?" He says back a smirk playing on his lips. I nod my head,

"Yup, Max told me to give it to ya" I smile at him and put my hand in my belt trying to find the letter Max gave me. Once I finally fish it out I hand it to Eric,

"Thanks." Eric smiles at me and shoves the letter in his pocket, I think.

I take another bite of my toast and look at Eric who is currently sending death glares to Four who has just walked into the room. His jaw is rigid and his fists are clenched slightly, his arm muscles are amazing I can't help staring at them considering he is currently wearing a black tank top. I don't have a clue what happened between Four and Eric but there's definitely tension, I know they transferred together the year before I transferred but that's all I know. I eat the last bit of my toast and take a swig from my drink before Eric turns his attention back to me. Great.

"Were you alright yesterday?" I suddenly feel confused what he going on about!

"What the hell you on about!?" Oh no just forgot who I'm talking too! Shouldn't have said that to Eric I'm dead, I'm dead!

He chuckles slightly, "Yesterday at dinner or whatever, you left here looking very flustered like you were having a panic attack or something." He noticed me! This could mean so many things! But it was probably just obvious.

"Erm I just got a bit flu...... what's that word again?" I begin to click my fingers it's what I do when I can't think of a word, Eric just flipping said it! I look at him and he seems to be thinking.

"Flustered?"

"Yes! That's the one thanks. Yeah I was a bit flustered about how the initiates are coming today." I smile at him gratefully but he looks confused.

"Why would you be flustered over that?" He asks, and I ponder my answer.

"Just I think..... I think my sister might transfer that's all." I take my eyes away from him and look down at my breakfast bar, I love Penny a lot but I'm scared of her she hates me.

"Oh, well I'll tell you if she transfers if you'd like?" Eric looks at me and I smile at him half heartedly.

"Thanks, that would be much appreciated."

"Right," Eric puts his hands on the table looking like he's ready for business, "So her faction will be Amity?" I nod, I'm surprised he remembered! "What's her name?"

I bite my lip, "Penny."

Eric nods, his eyes flicker to my lips. "Right Amity Penny I'll look out for her and tell you if she transfers."

"Thanks" Eric smiles at me and looks up at the clock, I follow suit and also look at it. It's 8:45, I best get going. I get a bobble from one of my pockets and put it around my wrist, I then put my black goggles with the metallic blue rims around my neck and put my hair in a messy bun. I stand up from my seat and grab the breakfast bar from my plate. "It was lovely speaking with you Eric but the bird must fly to her second nest." What the hell just came out of my mouth!?

Eric cocks his eyebrow at me, "Please forget I said that its early in the morning, tripe comes out of my mouth all the time you've just got to get used to it." He chuckles deeply,

"Yes I know the stuff you came out with in initiation was some of the weirdest stuff I've heard in my life." He laughs a little more and gets out of his seat, I've never saw him laugh like this before.

"Unlike you I don't have to go to work just yet." Eric picks up his plate and picks up mine.

"You don't have to take that I'll take it!" I try and grab the plate back from him but he puts it out of my reach.

"I'm taking it, you have stuff to do whereas I don't until later on today."

"Well thanks." I smile back at him and push my goggles back on my head.
"Enjoy making the initiates jump to what they think is their certain death." I say to him before we part ways.

"Oh don't worry I will. Enjoy making grenades and guns and stuff like that." He says back,

"I will, I will."

"And I will also try and inform you about your sister." I nod back to him and head for the door that leads down to weapons bay.

I can't believe I've just had a civil convocation with Eric and I didn't make to much of a fool out of my self and the fact that he noticed me aswell yesterday! I guess it wasn't for the best reason ever but he still did.

I really don't know what Penny will be like if she transfers I wonder if she's grown and if she looks different or if she just looks like the same old Penny that I once knew.

But I know that thought is wrong she will have changed she won't be the same old Penny I used to know, she will still hate me and she will hate me for the rest of my life.