23

"Mama..."

I still couldn't speak properly. It was already dark outside and without noticing, I had spent hours lying on the bed with tears streaming down my face. Alam kong mas hindi ko kakayanin kung uuwi pa ako kina Mama dahil sa kalagayan nila at ni Ate. I chose not to face it as soon as possible, even though I know I have to.

[Bella?] Mama asked on the other line. [It's already 9PM. Okay ka lang ba, anak? Hindi ka ba makakauwi?]

I sobbed harder when I heard her voice but I kept my mouth shut, "M-Mama, kailangan niyo po ba talaga ako diyan? Nahihirapan ka b-ba, Ma?"

I heard her sigh. [Hindi naman masyado, anak. Ayos ka lang ba talaga? It's okay if you can't manage to come home now. I understand.]

I shook my head in response, trying to spit out words. "Uuwi ako, M-Ma. Nagliligpit na nga ako ng gamit, e!" I tried my best to sound like I was happy. Sinubukan kong ibalik ang maligayang boses ko dahil alam kong mahahalata kaagad ni Mama kung may mali.

She was silenced for a while. [Okay. Ingat, anak.]

Ibinaba ko na ang tawag pagkatapos noon dahil baka marinig pa ni Mama ang mga hikbi na pilit kong hindi pinapakawalan. My eyes were still aching as I forced myself to pack my stuff. Munti pa akong manghina muli nang makita ang closet na walang ibang laman kung hindi ang mga gamit ko.

When did he ever have time to pack all his things?

He could've planned everything from the very start. Alam niya na sigurong mangyayari lahat ng ito kaya ganoon ang reaksyon niya kanina. He already knew.

That made me think that, was it his plan to bring us here and break up with me? He made me wonder if that was what he wanted all along: bring me to the happiest point of my life then leave me without any notice.

Sinuksok ko nalang lahat ng damit ko sa bag dahil wala na akong lakas para ayusin pa lahat ng iyon. When I was about to close the closet, I saw a white box placed under all my clothes. It was hidden.

With trembling hands, I opened the box. Kahit walang pangalan kung kanino nanggaling, alam ko na kaagad na bigay niya 'to. It was from him.

A red scarf was inside the box. Its fabric felt like it was made out of cotton. There was also a note with it.

I braced myself before opening and reading what was written on it. It's his words. Would it be another traumatizing batch of his disputes?

Thank you for letting me experience what it was like to be used for a bet. It was indeed a thrilling yet amusing flight with you. Thank you for flying with me... for almost a year. See you on the plane, Ms. Rivera.

- Gonzales.

I stopped myself from crying but even though I wanted to, tears just kept coming out. The scarf was sprayed with his perfume and if only I could, I wished to drown myself in his scent because that was the only thing left I could hold on to.