Leonardo (Platonic Scenario - "Pizzazz") (Rise of the TMNT)

Start from the beginning

You stamped to the side of the couch and said through closed teeth, "I don't want pizza. I want you to leave!"

Leo flipped himself over the back of the couch and landed on his tippy-toes, leaning forward so that he could set his arms on the headrest. "Okay, grouch," he chuckled, placing a humorous emphasis on the word "grouch." "You're in a mood today."

A shallow wind flowed into the room as Leo reopened the nearest window. He pushed one of his legs through the gap, but his eyes remained on you even as he shook his head. "I'll be out here when you change your mind."

* * *

Many an hour spent sitting on the steel bars of the fire escape passed until night had fallen across the city. Doors had opened and then closed throughout the day, but the curtains had been drawn to prevent Leo from peeking inside.

Finally, the glow of the full moon caught his eye and dragged a long groan out of him. Leo opened the window at his back and climbed onto the ceiling of the apartment, finding nothing but darkness and an empty couch.

The front door opened, but the human who entered was not you. This wiped the smile off Leo's face and weakened his grip on the ceiling for a moment. His grip then tightened again as the stranger closed the door and locked it.

Buddy approached the back of the couch, a rusty brass key glinting in their palm. The smell of fresh pizza was like the softness of linen sheets to a weary traveller. Their stomach grumbled, so they reached to flip open the box.

As soon as the pizza was uncovered, the scent of hot pepperoni and steaming cheese flew into their nostrils. "Thanks," mumbled Buddy, their attention drawn to the act of choosing a slice and taking a bite of it.

A couple of slices were missing from the large pizza, but they dismissed it as poor service by way of a hungry delivery person. With a slice in their hand, Buddy walked into the kitchen and searched for a plate.

"That's not for you," whispered Leo, the taste of the pizza still lingering on his tongue. He observed Buddy through wide, disbelieving eyes that soon narrowed. His mouth fell into a straight line as he wondered how this person had gotten a hold of your key.

The thought of you lying somewhere, bruised and mugged, was more frightening to Leo than the most monstrous foe. It took what meagre restraint he had to avoid rushing the supposed burglar from the ceiling.

Instead, he retreated to the shadows, waiting for Buddy to grab a napkin and set the pizza slice on a paper plate.

Buddy had started to return to the couch when the lightbulb above his head flickered. The bulb droned and buzzed, and its light had a faint blue tinge that reminded Buddy of insect observatories.

A noiseless plop was the sole marker of Leo's descent, the rug having cushioned his feet. Leo stood upright and turned his head with a rapid twist of the neck. His white eyes gazed into the kitchen as he raised a hand to the top of his carapace, and a soft ring echoed in the living room.

Under the dim light creeping from the kitchen, a blade glistened.

Buddy extended their hand and tapped the lightbulb, but it merely swayed at their touch and continued to flicker. They blamed an outdated lightbulb and turned to leave the kitchen.