17

We sat in the meeting room, listening to another one of Palpatines speeches. I was trying to focus, although through the corner of my eye all I could see he was him staring at me. Not a kind stare, no, more one you'd give to your foe. He was staring at me with mean, menacing eyes, watching my every move.

Gale, stop.

"Dark Lady."

Gale STOP. He was still looking.

"General y/l/n!" Palpatines voice suddenly rang.

My attention suddenly snapped to the Emperor, who was glaring at me from under his dark hood.

"Sorry Emperor," I said, my heart racing in my chest. I didn't want to be on his bad side.

"No, you don't want to be on that side," he hissed at me,"Now pay attention, you must always listen to your superiors."

"I'm deeply sorry Emperor, it won't happen again,"

"As I was saying, I am working on turning one of the younger Jedi who shows... potential that isn't being appreciated by the Republic..."

I wondered who he was talking about, I thought Jedi were fiercely loyal to the lifestyle.

However I did know one that tended to be a rule breaker...

"Our plan is coming together, Generals, and we must all keep striving for the greater good of the Empire." He ended his speech, with us sat around the table saluting to him. This signalled the meeting was adjourned.

"Dark Lady, we must speak privately, stay here," Palpatine said, gesturing for the others to go. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Gale shoot me a look before he left the room.

What, jealous the Emperor asked of me and not you?

I watched his face scowl in anger as he walked away. I guess reading thoughts could come in handy.

"Yes Emperor, what is it?" I questioned, intrigued.

"As you know, I'm currently working undercover as a member of the Jedi council, and our plans to overthrow the Republic are almost complete, I'm so very close to turning a young Jedi to the Dark Side. I'm sure you're familiar with Anakin Skywalker."

My heart sank at the sound of his name, an uncontrollable turmoil rocking my stomach.

"Unfortunately I am," I replied, taking a deep breathe.

"This mission is one we must devote our time and utmost effort into, as it may be the most important thing you do in your life..."

"I understand Emperor, I won't let you down," I said, saluting. He dismissed me with his hand and so I promptly left the room.

My heart was racing, along with my mind. Shit. This was Skywalker, the man I swore to myself I would never see again. I couldn't jeopardise the plan, I knew my life depended on it. If I failed Palpatine... I didn't want to imagine what the consequences would be.

My footsteps clicked on the floor with each fast paced stride I took. I was on my way to the hangar, I thought it best to prepare the ship for our mission.

So after navigating my way there, I chose the closest Scimitar to board and began logging our flight information, setting the coordinates up for the next day. There wasn't much to do, but it was better than sitting in my room staring into the vastness of space for hours on end. A new hobby of mine...

I was just exiting the ship when a figure caught me eye, pacing towards me. He came closer, his shoulders square and his jaw rigid, clenching at the sides. his lip curled slightly when he looked at me.

Dread washed through me was he grabbed my arm and walked us both into the depths of the Scimitar. I quickly shrugged his arm off, flicking away where his hand had been after.

"What do you want Gale," my voice taut with contempt.

He looked both ways cautiously before beginning, "What I want is for you to keep your mouth shut tight about what happened last night. I was drunk and whatever I said, I didn't mean it."

"Right," I sneered,"And what if my tongue... slips and a few people perhaps find out. I'm sure the Emperor would be less than pleased to hear the news."

He force-pushed me back into the wall, our faces merely centimetres apart. "Let's just say a certain Lorne Malvo is one button away on my comlink, a button that I become more inclined to press the more defiant you are," He hissed into my neck.

I pushed him away from me, brushing myself off. "You may have been my Master once, however you aren't now. Threaten me all you want, there's no way I'm letting Malvo come a mile close to me."

With a swirl of my robes, I walked off, only to hear his irritating voice again. "You know, you led me on last night, you can't deny it..." He said,"Besides, who will they believe? Me, a well respected, experienced General." I heard his boots thudding slowly closer to me,"Or you, a new, rookie General who Palpatine palmed off to Bespin for some crucial supplies." My fists balled up in tight knots at my sides. What was he on about?

"Thought so." He said, brushing past me and off the ship.

What. Was I... sold... to Bespin? To the creep Lorne Malvo?

All I could do was stand there. I felt unable to move, as though the ground was slowly, painfully swallowing me like quicksand.

No... it couldn't be true. He trusted me. I'd been part of the Imperial Order my whole life. I couldn't just be... sold. I was too important of an asset here. Right?

~~~~

I lay in bed, my mind racing as I pondered every possible reason they would do that. No, they couldn't. Patorr must've just been lying to shake my confidence. He was just jealous Palpatine chose me for the mission and not him.

If it were true, I bet General Krannus had some part to play, it's obvious he's been rooting for my downfall ever since I became an apprentice. And he was so reluctant for me to become a Dark Lady of The Sith...

I attempted brushing the troubling thought away, but to no avail. I spent the night tossing and turning, my mind plagued by the news Gale had enlightened me on.

After hours of restlessness, I fell into a troubled sleep. A sleep troubled by the haunting of Anakin Skywalker...