30: Dandelions

Donghyuck

Throughout the walk to the bus station, Jaemin was quiet and that didn't change when he wordlessly got into the next bus that stopped in front of us. He walked all the way to the back and took a seat next to a window. For a second, as the bus slowly drove off, I debated on whether to sit next to him or not. Ultimately, I decide against it and sit on the other side of the bus, also pressed next to a window.

I let my eyes travel to him every other second. They go from him to the window next to me but every time my eyes are on him, he's always looking out. He's thinking. I can tell that much. He gives the impression that he's stuck in some sort of daze just like when we were inside the janitor's closet, he hasn't changed his expression since then. I don't think he realizes that his cheeks were still pink and stained with tears but I stay quiet. I will remain silent for as long as he did. It's obvious he needs time, that he has to think so I will let him.

With a sigh, I will myself to look away from him and to the window and to every building we pass by. I'm thankful that there's no one else on the bus but I didn't expect the opposite to be honest. By now, everyone is either at work or school and so that only left people with late shifts that would either be doing chores or sleeping. Of course, there are various exceptions and I could see that as I watched people walk through the streets.

I look over to Jaemin again. Nothing has changed.

This time, I look away and to the front of the bus where the only person there is the bus driver but it was obvious that they were minding their own business and paying attention to the road. If he noticed our school uniform when we came in, he didn't comment. We would get in serious trouble if he did so I was grateful either way.

It was the third stop the bus made and there was now only one other person on the bus but they sat all the way in front and were most likely just out of a night shift since they were leaning on the window and I could bet that they were sleeping. I didn't dwell on them, though.

I look over at Jaemin again, instead. He looks tired, which is the first thing that I'll note but he was still thinking. I was going to let him continue but when I see a sign with where we are, I deemed that we have gone far enough from our original point so, with much hesitation, I stand up and slide into the sit next to him. He doesn't notice though, he was too far into his thought. I turn my head back ahead and notice that we were close to the next stop so with uncertainty, I tap his shoulder.

"Jaemin?" I say in a low voice, almost a whisper.

Thankfully, it was enough to snap him out of his daze. He turns his head over at me and for some seconds, he simply stares. I gulp, not knowing what to do as I look back into his eyes. "I think we should get off on the next stop," I tell him.

He looks around the bus, his eyes stopping for some seconds on the driver and then on the male sitting several seats in front of us. He nods his head before returning his gaze to where it was originally.

I sink back in my seat. I was curious as to what could have happened but I knew better than to pry. I knew better than to ask someone unwanted questions.

Jaemin

When we get off the bus, the atmosphere stays silent just like when we got out of school. Neither of us tries to change that, though. Or perhaps that was just me. Either way, we both didn't say a word as we walk through unknown streets. I continue to look forward blankly, rethinking my past decisions as I try to think of another word other than regret which seemed impossible at the moment. Donghyuck seems to know that I need some time so he stays some feet away which I was grateful for.

I noticed we were walking by a park a few minutes later and just as I was about to head there, the other spoke up. "How about we go there?" He asks. When I turn to look at him, one of his arms was extended and he was pointing at the park.

With a tight-lipped smile, I nod at him, still unable to trust my voice with saying words. He returns the gesture with a small grin before leading us there. He walks over to the swing set and sits on one of them and I find myself doing the same. Swings have always been my favorite part about coming to a park and I wasn't about to pass the opportunity to be on one of them even if I was seventeen now.

I begin to sway my legs, moving the swing only a little and the boy beside me did the same. I was looking down and kicking the dirt underneath and through my peripheral vision, I can see him do the same. I start to think again. The look Mark-Hyung had before I ran away was the one image that kept coming back over and over again.

I was about to go through the scene again when there was dirt flying through my feet that weren't from me. I look up at Donghyuck to see a teasing smile on his face as he starts to swing his legs faster. With a laugh, I take the challenge and follow his lead, getting to the same height as him not even a minute later.

We were laughing as we tried to beat the other. We kept going, playing around, trying to kick each other to slow the other down. Our swings kept on almost intertwining which simply make us laugh more. It went on for at least an hour, I was surprised that we hadn't gotten tired or bored but when we stopped, we were both panting.

We look at each other with smiles, his was gentle while mine was just whole-hearted. It was only able to last at least two minutes though before I remember why we're here and I look away as my heart panged in hurt.

I sigh, clear my throat, and then walk onto the grass field. The sun is hot but not incredibly so which I was thankful for as I take a seat. A few seconds later, I hear Donghyuck coming and the spot next to me was filled. I stare ahead just like earlier with a thoughtful gaze but I was broken out of it only a few minutes later when the person next to me taps my arm again.

I direct my attention over to him only to see a dandelion in his hand and a smile stretched across his face. "Make a wish," he explains innocently as he puts the plant in my hand.

I was going to refuse but a few more seconds of looking into his eyes made me give in. My knees were pressed against my chest and the dandelion was being held by both of my hands which were resting on my knees. I look at it for a few more seconds before closing my eyes and reciting what I wished for in my head.

'I wish for our happiness'

I blow on the flower. I leave my eyes shut for a couple of more seconds before opening them to watch the white flying around us. I turn to look at Donghyuck who has already turned in my direction with a smile.

I wasn't sure what I was really wishing for. Just happiness. That's it. One way or another, I wanted us all to be happy.