5: Boys

Mark

"Hey. Mark. Mark. Mark. Mark-Hyung," I heard as if it was background music and it wasn't until the last word that I came back to my senses and focused on the boy that was in front of me.

I smirk, "Did the Lee Donghyuk just call me Hyung?" I question mockingly.

He only continues to glare at me, "What were you thinking about?"

I turn my head to the side as my cheeks and ears become hot. Na Jaemin.

The other looks at me knowingly as he sighs. "It's the boy from the cafe right? Na Jaemin?" He asks monotonously, some negative emotion there though I couldn't pinpoint what it was.

I nod slightly with a small smile as I poke at the food on my plate, already daydreaming about the said boy. How had I never noticed him?

He rolls his eyes before standing up, taking his plate, and leaving without another word. I shrug at his actions, used to his dramatics and abrupt behavior. From the day that we met when he looked for me for some tutoring lessons, he has been like this. The sassiness, the dramatics, and the... distinctiveness, particularness. He is definitely a unique boy which is why we became friends after some tutoring lessons.

I smile at the thought, standing up from my seat, going to throw the remaining food away. My mind then drifted off once I noticed that the boy that has been filling my mind was a couple of tables away.

He looks gloomy and as if he had been crying, his eyes slightly puffy. The male next to him was trying his best to comfort him by rubbing his back and shoulder, changing every now and then. A frown overtakes my face as I wonder what happened to him and who or what must have caused it.

I did my best to convince my curious self to not go up to him and ask when someone bumped into me. I was still putting my plate away nearby the cafeteria entrance and exit so I deemed it my fault before I look up to see who it was. I quickly replaced the sorry expression that I had with a glare at the boy who was returning it with the same intensity.

The bastard once again shoved me with his shoulder, walking straight ahead, following his girlfriend like a lost puppy.

The bastard was too much. Lee Jeno, the boy who ruined my sophomore year. As soon as he came into the school, he won the soccer captain position which I had been striving for since I was in middle school after having taken the position that year. I could have let it slide if it weren't that he quit the team before the first big game, putting us in a tough position.

I frown as my mood deescalates. I put the tray roughly in its place as those past, hidden emotions came back before walking away, and outside of the cafeteria.

Jaemin

"Jaemin-ah, could you tell me what's wrong?" Renjun asks almost pleadingly.

I started to rethink my decisions, I really should have taken up my mother's offer to stay home for today. I have to admit, I'm not feeling the best. I have a slight headache from all the crying the previous night and my throat felt a little sore from talking endlessly with my family. There were eyebags under my eyes from not sleeping until 3 in the morning and my eyes have been puffy since I woke up as well. I look like a mess but I couldn't find myself to care this morning as I convinced my mom that I couldn't miss school. Or more like I wouldn't and didn't want to.

Why? I don't know myself but there was something dragging me here today. Maybe it's the fact that it is so implemented in my daily schedule that I felt the need to attend so that I could later visit the library for an hour and later the coffee shop for another two hours before going home, passing by the auto repair shop where Jeno is usually around.

I come back to my senses after thinking of how incredibly stalkerish I just sounded as I look at Renjun with a small smile or what I attempted to be a smile as I shake my head slightly.

"Maybe later?" I question with hopeful eyes as I take hold of one of his hands, squeezing it reassuringly as he stops his movement with the other which was previously going soothingly through my back.

He sighs, "I'm worried about you Nana, this is unlike you," He explains with a worried gaze.

I smile at him, "I'm fine," I retort a little hesitantly.

Boys are nothing to cry about--they shouldn't be. I just get a little stressed and overwhelmed by my feelings sometimes and this time just came harder than usual. It's not like they have rejected me or that I've gotten heartbroken and I will never be either because I'm not confessing. Because I'll get over these feelings. Because I gave up. It's just taking some time to get over it--get over them.

"How about we leave?" He asks with a smile as an attempt to make me feel better, I can tell.

I was about to reject his offer when I saw Lee Jeno walking through the middle of the cafeteria right behind the girl he was kissing a couple of days ago. After that, word had gotten out that they were dating. I take a sigh before turning to look at my best friend, giving him a small smile as I nod firmly at him.

He doesn't hesitate to take both of our plates, throwing the remaining food away(which was basically all of it) before handing me my backpack as I stand up. He begins to drag me by my wrist and I couldn't find it in me to pull away. He was doing this because he cares about me and I'm grateful.

As we walk through the mostly empty classroom, one of them calls my attention. Lee Donghyuk was there, and we make eye contact.

It was as time slowed down as we looked each other in the eyes as if it were just us--as cliche as it sounds. It could've been what I've always dreamed of if it weren't for his red eyes and tear-stained cheeks.