6: Pizza

Jaemin

So maybe it didn't end up as a great idea to let Renjun go ahead so that I could see what was up with Donghyuck. It was just that my heartstrings were pulling hard when I saw him like that and I couldn't just let it be. Now I was here, next to him looking down at my feet under the desk while he looks right at the whiteboard, not having blinked for the past two minutes.

Gosh is this awkward.

"Y- you don't look okay," I tell him, quickly smacking myself internally.

"You also don't look great," he answers dryly as he turns to look at me, making eye contact and giving me a tight-lipped smile.

"Right," I say, feeling my cheeks growing red. "Wanna talk about... it?" I question hesitantly as I turn back to look at the board.

"Lunch is over in 2 minutes," he answers in the same tone as before.

"I was going to skip with my friend, anyway." I pause. "Do... you wanna tag along?"

He stays silent for a moment, looking as if he was deeply thinking into it. "Sure," he responds after a while, standing up and putting his backpack where it goes, beginning to walk off.

I hurriedly get on my feet as well, taking my bag in my hands and rushing after him. "Wait! Wait for me!" I exclaim as my heart begins to speed up in excitement.

Once we were safely out of school without being spotted, Donghyuck began to walk once again and so I followed. I was breathing heavily as I texted Renjun. "My friend says that he'll wait at the nearby park where he leaves his car," I tell him.

He nods with a small smile, turning his head towards me as he continues to walk.

Soon enough, we reach, Renjun waving his hand at us with a smile. I run towards him, moving in front of Donghyuck, steps away. "S- Sorry for that," I say as soon as I reach my best friend, taking heavy breaths.

He raises an eyebrow, "You suddenly don't look as dull as you did during lunch," he states as he moves his head over my shoulder, spotting the other boy. "Was it his fault?" He asks in a disappointed tone.

I shake my head, "I promise to tell you soon," was the last thing I pronounced before Donghyuck was next to me, smiling at Renjun.

"I'm Lee Donghyuck, nice to meet you."

Renjun gives him a grimacing expression which makes me glare at him and subtly kick him in the shin. He smiles sarcastically sweet, "I'm Huang Renjun," he mumbles before turning, opening the car door, and entering without another word.

"Lovely he is," the other says making me giggle slightly.

I go to the other side of the car, taking the passenger seat while Donghyuck gets in through the door we were standing by. We were all awkwardly silent in the car as we thought of where to go, the only sound heard is the sound of the engine.

"We're going to eat first," Renjun pronounces after some seconds.

I huff, "We just got out of lunch."

"Yeah, and did you actually eat?" He questions, raising his eyebrows and crossing his arms over his chest creating a knowing expression.

"I'm not hungry," I say with a challenging tone but he didn't falter. We continued on glaring right at each other for what seemed like minutes when the boy in the back seat spoke.

"It's not good to not eat," he inputs making the both of us turn our head back. "And I want pizza," he finishes off determinedly.

I sigh looking between them both who were intently looking back at me, waiting for my words. "Fine, let's go get pizza," I mumble as I sit correctly on the seat. Renjun puts on a satisfied grin as he also turns back and drives off.

The drive to the nearby pizzeria was almost insufferable with the uncomfortable silence even with the radio turned up as only news and announcements were on even after going through the channel for the tenth time.

"Just because you press on the same channel one second later doesn't mean that what's playing will change," the voice from behind startles me to the point that it makes me jump, detaching my hand from the tiny screen.

Renjun from beside me snorts at my actions while Donhyuck cutely giggles. My cheeks turn red, "Damn don't talk so suddenly," I murmur as I begin to move through the stations once again.

After around five minutes, we finally arrive at the mall where we head to the food court and to the pizza place Renjun and I usually go to. We take a seat at a table near a window with me and Renjun on one side while Donghyuck sits in front of us. We quickly order something that we agreed on before everything between us becomes silent again. Maybe I should have thought this invitation more through. It was obvious that we would be awkward considering that my friend and my crush had no idea of each other's existence and the first time that I and Donghyuck communicated was just yesterday.

"So," I begin, "In what class are you in Donghyuck?" I ask hoping that from here, a conversation will begin to clear the intense air.

"Class 3-A. I think we're in the same class?" He questions, looking at Renjun who nods firmly.

"Oh great, now you can keep him company. He's a total loner, you see," I hiss when the boy next to me smacks my head. He only laughs at me as I stick my tongue out at him.

"I could use some friends too," the other says bringing my attention back to him.

I thought he was popular? I thought everyone was his friend? I decide not to let my thoughts out. The food then arrives as if on cue. The three of us smile and curtly bow at the waiter who does the same to us.

We don't waste another second to dig in. Just as I was grabbing my second slice, Renjun's phone rings making him reach out to grab it from his pocket.

"Shit," he curses lowly in Chinese--something I've learned from our 4-year-old friendship. "I gotta go. I forgot I was going to tutor this boy named Chenle during 4th period," he explains as he stands up, putting his phone back into his pocket.

"Can't you ditch?" I question, my mouth full of pizza.

"I can't, I'm being paid to do this and I'm already 10 minutes late." He pauses. "Right, I need my car. Will you guys be okay?" He looks between us both.

Donghyuck looks at me expectantly and I turn to look at my friend, I nod, "We'll take the bus or a taxi," I answer simply.

"Ok bye," he replies before rushing out.

"And then there were two," Donghyuck says, giving me a small smile that made me blush.