27: The aftermath

Donghyuck

When I saw Mark Wednesday morning, I knew he had talked to Jaemin the previous day. I was doing my best to feel okay as I stared at his lovestruck smile as he walked through the cafeteria, looking for somebody. Frankly, I was hoping that person was me. I should've known better, though.

Jaemin smiled widely when he saw him. Mark looked as if he was just about ready to fly over to him if he wasn't by his side in a second. When he arrived, he was quick to lean down and place a kiss on his cheek before sitting beside him.

I didn't see anything afterward. I knew better than to make myself suffer so I quickly looked away, tuning my friend's conversations out and spending the rest of breakfast looking down at the cafeteria table.

-----

I feel someone nudge my side making me raise my head up, getting out of my thoughts. Eric was there, raising an eyebrow at me. "You okay, man?" He whispers in concern, glancing between me and the teacher warily.

I smile at him. "Of course, why wouldn't I be," I let out a small laugh before looking down at the papers sprawled in front of me, picking up the one Mrs. Hwang is currently going over.

"-in class project. It's eighty percent of your final grade. If someone in your group is not doing their part, then you must tell me and I will automatically give them a zero," she says sternly, giving random people a glare. "I will now be calling out the assigned groups and before anyone asks, there will be no switching. These groups are final." With that, she went to sit behind her desk where she started to call out names.

I put my head on my left hand, allowing myself to doze off a little as I wait for my name to be called out. That didn't take long to happen. "Kwon Eunbin, Son Dongju, Lee Donghyuck, Huang Renjun."

I glance around the room to see the other three doing the same, throwing polite smiles at each other. I knew them three fairly enough. I was friendly with everyone in this classroom, to be fair.

When my eyes met with Renjun's, though, it reminded me of Jaemin and how I have been avoiding him for more than a week now. A tinge of guilt and hurt went through me as I quickly diverted my eyes from him.

-----

"So, Eunbin will do the research, I'll do the essay part, while Donghyuck and Renjun will work on the presentation and the final three questions, sound fair?" Dongju says with a serious demeanor, looking at each of us for our approval.

To be honest, I was okay getting stuck with any part of the assignment but just my luck, I got stuck doing partner work with him out of the three.

I sigh. "Sounds good." Just as I said that the bell rang, signaling the dismissal for lunchtime.

Eunbin waved at us with a smile as she headed to her friends. I grinned back and did the same to Dongju as he stood up from the seat he was taking in front of me. Then, I turned to look at Renjun who was already looking at me.

I raise an eyebrow. "Is there a problem?" I ask due to his obvious stare.

He shrugs, picking up his items from his desk. "I'm just wondering why you're ignoring Jaemin these days. I'm not an idiot, I notice things. You two seemed so friendly with each other after you ditched with us and then out of nowhere, you guys weren't even saying hello in the hallways. I just find that odd, but it's not my business." I opened my mouth to retort but before I could get a word out, he stood up from his seat and said, "See you tomorrow," leaving me stunned.

I knitted my brows together in confusion but then just sighed and headed out knowing that Mark would be waiting for me in the cafeteria.

-----

Jaemin

"So, I'm stuck doing a project with Donghyuck for the next two weeks." Renjun suddenly says.

I stop in my tracks, almost choking on my saliva at the sudden information. I didn't know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing or neither. Probably neither. "W- why are you telling me this?" I ask slowly, gaining back my composure and continuing to walk.

He shrugs nonchalantly. "I just thought I should tell." He scans the hallway and when he made sure that it was clear, he leans towards me and says lowly, "You know with him being your crush and all."

I glare at him but he simply shrugs, sending me an 'innocent' smile. Now that he was over the shock of what we had discussed, he was full-time teasing me. I groan. "You have to stop teasing, it's getting old," I deadpan.

"Nah, I don't think it'll ever get old," he laughs just as we arrive at the cafeteria. He glances inside before looking back at me. "Are you staying today? You know, with you dating Mark-sunbae and all," he questions seriously.

I let out a breathy sigh, running a hand through my hair. "I... I told him I have something to do." He looked at me sternly. "He knows that it has something to do with one of the other guys that I like," I further explain.

"H- he knows?" He asks in shock, mouth, and eyes both opened wide.

I nod weakly. "He knows about them but he doesn't know who they are. We're keeping it that way for a while. It's not like the other two know of my feelings or something. Even if I'd like to be with them and he's willing to try being with them, they would also have to know so right now there's no point in him knowing."

"Okay, maybe I'm just scared to tell him," I confess at Renjun's stern look.

"I think you should tell him who they are. If you guys are together, then you should be pursuing someone else together too." He shrugs. "I don't know much about polyamorous relationships but it makes sense if it's that way."

-----

Donghyuck

"I see you're happy," I tell Mark as soon as he sits across from me.

He smiles and nods. "I am."

"Is he going to sit with us?"

Please say no. Please say no. Please say no. Please-

"No, he's busy."

I didn't miss the way that his eyes turned slightly darker and the way that his smile dropped in the slightest. I couldn't help but be curious as to what was behind those gestures.