44.No more

While a big part of her wanted to be alone in her misery. The other part was glad, her family was awake and waiting for her in their common room.

Come to think of it, it was not surprising at all.

Earlier that morning, things had been going so well, her mother had prepped her for the final move. If only they knew how wrong they all were. If only they knew how hopeless that whole competition had been from the start. If only they knew what a selfish and lying monster Tyren was.

At that last thought, she had to backtrack.

Her family had never stopped thinking of the Imperial family as monsters. Only she had. Tyren had manipulated her so terribly that she had thought that everyone's opinion of him was wrong.

I have been so stupid.

With that thought, sad and embarrassed tears threatened to spill once more.

"Nat! What's wrong?"

She had been so lost in her thoughts; she had forgotten that she was standing at the door of the common room, looking like she had been dragged through life's worst nightmares and then back.

She heard footsteps accompanying Preston's concerned voice. Her eyes closed to fight the tears, she outstretched her hand in an attempt to stop her brother from moving any step closer.

As much as she needed care and comfort, she dreaded it. She knew the moment Preston touched her, she would break down. And, She had already done enough breaking down in Tyren's room. She was not going to do that in front of her parents.

She didn't even think that they thought her capable of such a foreign term. All the times she had cried in her life had been in seclusion. She had always been the level-headed, strong daughter to them.

"Have you been crying?" Ignoring her gesture, Preston moved closer until he was standing right in front of her. Her eyes were still shut, so she couldn't see him. But she felt him, just like she felt him run his eyes over her person. She felt anger reverberate from him, even before he asked. " What happened? What did he do?... I swear I will ki-"

"Preston, please."

She pleaded and finally opened her eyes and felt a tear drop from each of her eyes of their own accord. She didn't want to cry. She wanted to be strong even for a few minutes so that she could get her family packing and ready to return to Demotia.

She had meant her threat to Tyren. She was going to return to Demotia or die doing so. But first, she needed her family out of harm's way. She wasn't sure what the Imperial family would do to her family after her disobedience. And she wasn't willing to test them either.

Ignoring her twin brother, she forced steel into her frame and voice and turned to her parents. Reminding herself that this might be the last thing she could do for them.

"Tyren will not be choosing me tomorrow. So, I see no need for all of you to be there during the ceremony. Not while our kingdom needs you more. I have talked to Tyren. He has permitted your leave. You can get your rest tonight. I will have the servants pack your things, and tomorrow morning, you can go back home."

"What?" Preston reacted at the same time her mother said,

"Natalia, what are you saying? You are not making sense."

Natalia blinked again. Fighting the tears, and went on.

"I just came from talking to Tyren." Her voice trembled, and she knew she was a second away from another meltdown. So she took another breath to harden her voice." He... He told me that he will have to pick Franchesca to be his wife. I know that you don't need to be here for that—"