36.Power plays

"What do you think actually happened to her?" He heard a voice that he immediately recognized as Lady Pauline's from his location across the corridor.

"Considering the fact that she was absent the whole of yesterday. And now something 'mysterious' seems to be going on in the palace. She must be a part of that." This time, it was Princess Esmeralda's aloof voice he heard replying.

"You have felt it too, right? It's like the whole palace is walking on eggshells and no one is saying anything. I am extremely scared. What could possibly be going on? And how could Natalia be part of such a thing?" When he heard Lady Pauline's answer nearing his location, he moved back a few paces to eavesdrop some more.

"I am not sure. All the guards and servants look jumpy. The entire imperial family didn't come for breakfast today and we were told to have lunch on our own. Whatever it is, it is big. I suggest we stop talking about it. The last thing we need is to be found talking about something that is making everyone so eerie."

"But what about Natalia? How do we help her? What if she is in trouble?" He found that he liked how Natalia's friends cared for and worried about her.

He hated that his family's absence was setting tongues wagging. Everyone in his family was still anxious about the assassination attempt. It was decided that they stay in their rooms instead of moving around in a palace full of strangers.

"Pauline, in this palace, everyone must look out for themselves sometimes. I think now is one of those times. If she is in trouble with the imperial family, then there is nothing either of us can do but wait for information."

"But, she is our friend. If the tables were turned—" Before Pauline could complete her argument the two ladies were standing right in front of Tyren, who no longer saw the need to eavesdrop. Both their eyes widened at his presence in their wing. But they quickly looked down and dropped into very low curtsies.

"Your Imperial Highness!"

"Rise!" he nodded, and they both quickly stood up.

"Your Imperial Highness, it's a pleasant surprise to see you here." Esmeralda broke into what he could only term as a strategic smile.

In the first week of the contest, he had made it his mission to profile each and every lady. He had reached the conclusion that Esmeralda was a conservative, guarded, intelligent, and toughened-up girl. Raised in the poorest and most hardened colony of Athanasia, she was very determined to win the crown. So it didn't surprise him whenever she dropped her cold persona and faked smiles with him just to win his favor. He was not an idiot. He knew that most of these girls and their families hated him and his, but they had little choice but to try to win his heart for the Crown.

"Yes, Indeed." Lady Pauline, whom he had profiled as a dramatic, extremely expressive, and joyful persona, agreed. It made sense why Pauline was the way she was since she was raised by the most gentle and agreeable of the nobles. She was a merry girl and didn't care much about being the Crown Prince. As far as she was concerned, that was another adventure in her life that she gladly enjoyed, whilst waiting for the next one. He wasn't sure if he liked or pitied such an easy-going and unambitious approach to life.

"Can I help you with something, Your Imperial Highness?" Esmeralda asked, moving closer to him in a flirtatious manner. It appeared forced even to him. But he didn't do anything to discourage her when she planted her hand on his shoulder. Neither did he do anything when she slowly moved it to his chest. He did note, though, that Pauline was glaring at her friend. But Esmeralda ignored her and added, in a more convincing, seductive tone." Would you like my company?"

The look in her eyes unmistakably suggested something carnal. That is when he removed her hand from his chest, put it on his hand, then gently turned her down.