19. to more!?

Two things crowded, and revolved in Natalia's mind as she walked to Tyren's training room the next morning.

1. The next challenge. The previous night, after announcing the top ten contestants, Tyren had announced the next challenge. Each of them was to be given a day to be the empress of Athanasia and do as they will. Then each would be judged according to that.

In her opinion, that was the toughest challenge yet. There was how the present empress, Empress Denaley, handled things—in which Natalia disagreed with. She could do the opposite of everything and get eliminated from the contest.

Or, She could do it in her mother's style, a friendly yet firm hand. But she was not sure how things would turn out for such a big place with so many servants and things going on. The only thing in her favor was time. Because she was once again the last contestant to present. So, she had time to think. But another thought was making her function at only half her usual capacity.

2.The kiss. Well, the probability of one happening in that morning. It was all she could dream about. It was why she was up earlier than she ought to, ready to get to the training room, and work out all those thoughts off her head.

If she was being honest, she wanted him to kiss her. Yet she didn't know what a kiss would mean for their relationship at such a point in the competition. She didn't know his stand in that competition. She was not sure if he was playing with his heart or not. And she was terrified of finding out.

She was both thrilled and disappointed to find him already there, in the room doing push-ups.

"Good morning, Your Imperial highness." He looked gorgeous moving like that. Body dripping and glistering in sweat as his muscles contracted and relaxed. He stopped at her greeting, and she almost told him to continue so that she could sit down and just watch him.

"Good morning, Natalia. How does it feel being in the top 10?" he grinned, sitting.

"I feel great. Thank you, by the way." At her remark, he frowned.

"There is no need to thank me. You earned that spot. Your answer was wonderful. You caught everyone off guard."

Just to test waters, she muttered loud enough for him to hear.

"So did Franchesca, huh?" He met her gaze. She was sure he could see the question in her eyes. But he either didn't see it or chose to ignore it. Because he didn't comment on it, nor was there any reaction on his face. Even his eyes were blank.

She knew she was acting childish. But she was trying to get something out of him. She wanted to know how he felt about the other girls.

"I will be here doing push-ups, then I will go for the weights, then the boxing. You?" He said, going back to his pushing-up position. She really wanted to press her subject. But she chose to go along with his attempt at changing it. Because she hated her pettiness, and the sick feeling she felt when she thought of the other girls.

"I will stretch first, then I will box, and then I will go for the bow and arrow. It has been a while. " He responded with a curt nod, and then each went on with their workout routine.

Natalia wanted something to happen. Even for them to talk about the kiss or the fact that it almost happened. But he didn't seem bothered by it. And she was not going to be the one to bring it up. Taking all her frustrations out on the boxing weight, she punched it. And punched it until the muscles in her arms were screaming. Still, she didn't stop; she went on and on and on. The sound of her assaulting the boxing weight reverberated throughout the room.

"Hey!" Tyren suddenly stopped the swinging weight, at last acknowledging her frustration." Are you alright?"

"I'm good." She bit back. She was not going to tell him anything. If he wanted to know something, he could read her like he always did. Wasn't he the master of mind reading?