9.

"I'm sorry that happened to you Lillian," Asher says as we both sit on my bed, with our backs against the wall and feet hanging off the edge. "We're all here for you, you know."

I shake my head. "I don't need any pity, Asher," I take a deep breath. "I'm more sorry about that happening to her, not me. She didn't deserve that! She had everything going for her," I say and look down at Evie's pendant that I keep finding myself grasping with all my strength tonight. "I ruined everything."

"Lillian, cut the shit!"

I let go of the pendant and quickly get out of my bed. I go over to my desk and rest my arms on it, facing away from Asher so he doesn't see the redness forming in my face from anger.

"It was a mistake. I don't blame you for taking responsibility for her death, Lillian, but enough is enough! You have to eventually accept that it was a mistake," Asher's deep voice rumbles with every word he says.

I really wish it could be that easy to just accept Evie's death. I haven't been able to accept anything from the accident besides the fact that it was my fault.

Sometimes I'll still wake up in the morning expecting Evie to be in the kitchen making my favorite breakfast of crepes when she would be home from school during vacation. Then at night, we would stay up until the early hours of the morning together gossiping on our current drama or anything about boys. She was my best friend.

"Why don't you come to my concert tomorrow night?" Asher says, pulling me out of my own head. "It'll help distract you. Everyone else will be there too."

"Your concert?" I say, still facing away from him.

He chuckles nervously. "Yeah, did Rose and Hazel not tell you about my band?"

"No, since when were you in a band?" I say as I slowly turn back towards him.

He gets up off of the bed and chuckles. "For a while now, dear. I expect to see you there," he says. "Or I'll be hunting you down again." He winks at me.

I instantly look away from him and feel myself blushing. "I'll be there."

He heads out my bedroom door. "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

I tap my fingers against the desk and smile lightly as he leaves. I then rush to my doorway and I watch him walk to the door in the loft. "Wait! Asher?"

He turns around to see me poking my head out of my door.

"What instrument do you play?" I say with a cheeky grin.

"Drums," he smirks and shows that dimple under his eye again.

"Damn."

I cover my mouth immediately, as I realize I spoke that instead of thought it.

"What was that?" he says, chuckling.

"Nothing!" I slam my door closed. Asher lets out a loud laugh in the hallway. I feel my face and chest scorching. I almost have to fan myself. I've always had a weak spot for drummers.

Okay, enough of that.

I could definitely use some fresh air after my long day and having a cigarette in my room right now doesn't sound appealing.

I throw on an old hoodie that I got from Los Angeles and head out of my bedroom door. I stop by Mia's room, which is dark, but I see her face illuminated by her laptop and she has a pair of big circular glasses on.

I lightly tap on her door. "I'm stepping outside for a few minutes. I'll be back."

"Okay!" She says with a smile, in her usual upbeat voice.