Chapter 17: Baleful Birthday Bash

According to demonic traditions, when a demon child turns 16 they come of age, and their powers grow stronger than before, although it was exciting to know it was my birthday, it was overwhelming to know that the weight of the crown, will be heavy as they say. Thankfully, my friends knew just how to make me comfortable... The boys made me pancakes and sang happy birthday to me, and showered me with compliments all day. Out of nowhere, Cuphead takes out a box wrapped in ribbons and hands it over to me.

"What's in it?" I asked.

"Open it, and see!" The bros. exclaimed, in unison.

I unwrapped the ribbon and opened the box. I thought this box would contain all the malices the world could name, like what happened to that one girl. What was her name, again? I think it was Pandora. Going back to Cuphead's gift, thankfully it didn't contain anything of what I mentioned; instead, it contained three tickets for a movie called: "Dirk Dangerous, and the Curse of the Necromancer's Ring". Close beside it, there was a note written in red and blue.

Will you go on a date with us, tonight?

(Please?)

Love, Cuphead and Mugsy

Ps: Happy Birthday, Cocoa!

I lifted up my head, only to see them both in begging positions, and smiling with puppy dog eyes. I chuckled.

"How can I say no to this...?" I thought, before nodding, accepting the twin brother's romantic requests, much to their victorious satisfaction. Elder Kettle also joined in the fun.

"I'm so happy! My little boys are becoming two, fine men!"

Suddenly, an imp was on a doorstep with a box in hand.

"Augh a bat with horns!" Shouted Elder Kettle being spooked.

"Easy, Elder Kettle, he's a friend," I responded, defensively.

The imp was touched that I called him a friend, that his eyes nearly welled up with tears. But he regained his composure and bowed low to me.

"Thank you, milady. I brought you this gift made by the tailors, back home."

One lifting of the lid was all it took for the attire to magically place itself on my body.

"My apologies if the dress is white," the imp explained. "Apparently we ran out of red fabrics so..."

"Are you kidding? I love this, so much!" I exclaimed while looking at myself in the mirror I just summoned, "When I'm gonna wear it?"

The imp explained that I'll be wearing that dress for my birthday ceremony in the woods tonight, for I need to be dressed in this eloquent attire for my signing of my father's book.

"Well, at least I got plenty of time to have a movie date with my partners." 

The imp's eyes sparkled upon hearing and seeing that I had found love amongst the world of the mortals.