Chapter 12: The Lament of the King

Later that night, after our previous misadventure with Cagney and the Moonshine Mob, I saw King Dice with the newspaper detailing my adventures with the boys. I knew I was going to be in such a pickle when I read the paper's headlines:

MYSTERIOUS COCOA CUP AND FRIENDS, OUTSHINES MOONSHINE BOOTLEGGERS.

and saw a picture of Cuphead, Mugman, Ms. Chalice, and of course, yours truly posing victorious, above the defeated bootleggers.

"Are you mad at me, dad?"I asked.

No response.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to do what's right... guess this means I'm grounded." I said as I persued to trudge into my room to begin my sentence.

Just then, my dad's eyes glaze green again, as he aimed in my direction, as he said the unimaginable.

" You're just like him..."

I turned around.

"Hm?"

King Dice clenched the newspaper in his grip, as he walked to the couch. I stood motionless.

" Sit with me, daughter." He said as he patted his lap. I sat down still with my fear freezing every inch of my body.

My dad went on to explain that my other dad, the Devil has always loved giving sinners the punishment they deserve.

"One thing you have to learn from him is what goes around, comes around," He advised, "that is true justice."

 I nodded.

"He'd be so proud of you, my darling..."

He hugged me tightly as his tears fell onto my hair, and cheeks, making something amazing happen. My hair grew a bit more; covering half of my left eye, and two purple diamonds appeared on each of my cheeks, as I felt a growth of power flowing through me.

"So, you're not mad that I'm hanging out with the cups?"

I asked that question in order to make my dad change the subject. I was expecting a positive answer from him, but I was in for a surprise...

"No sweetie, I'm not." 

I lifted my eyebrow.

"No? But why? He owes my dad his soul."

A deep sigh came from the King's mouth.

"Every time, I look at the three of you playing together, I see your dad and I."

I could see that his pining for my father was growing by the day. 

"We's the only ones that keep him going," I said, "I miss him."

Dice lowered his mustached lips and kissed me, that's when he spotted the little diamonds, this could only mean one thing...

"You're growing into a fine, and powerful lady, my cocoa cup," You need space to train, and hone your powers."

I gasped.

"You mean I'll get to punish sinners?!"

King Dice chuckled proudly.

"All in good time, my little princess."

I went whooping in jubilation to my room, leaving the king to smirk as he watched me leave. And that was the August night, in which I came of age in demon powers.