Chapter 3: At the Carnevil

If it weren't for Mugman, who somehow worked his magic on me; the whole ordeal would've been a bust. I remember seeing my adoptive parents happily waving goodbye as I stepped out of the Sodapop Shack where I lived.

"So, you're Cocoa Cup, right?" Cuphead asked as we strolled. " I'm sorry for what I did downstairs."

I chuckled softly.

" That's ok, Cuphead; I get it," I replied.

"So, do you have any other friends?" Mugman asked.

I didn't say anything, but my saddened look spoke for itself.

Suddenly, Cuphead's face brightened up, as a lightbulb appeared on his head.

"Say, can we be your friends?" He asked. "That way, you won't be lonely anymore!"

I was about to answer when some distant carnival music caught my attention.

" Fellas, look! A Carnival!" I exclaimed. " we should go there!"

Cuphead and I were over the moon, but Mugman had his doubts.

" Cocoa, Cuphead; I'm not so sure-"

"You know what I do when I'm not so sure?" Cuphead asked abruptly." I double down!"

Mugman was visibly confused and asked what that meant. 

" He means, we're going to take a further risk, by going to this carny!" I explained, charmingly.

Cuphead placed his hand on my shoulder, which made me blush for a while, but deep down, I liked it.

" What Cocoa said, 'sides, we promised her that we'd show her all of Inkwell; right Mugsy?" He replied.

Despite Mugman's initial protest, we went to the carnival and had a blast! We went on rides, gorged on the food, then rode the rides again, and threw up. I raised my head, only to see Cuphead, holding my hair back.

" Thanks, Cuphead," I said, with a smile, before I retched into the pail once more.

"No Problemmo, Cocoa!" he chuckled before we rode the carousel. When the first half of our day was over, we walked in the park laughing and gloating about our trip.

"Well, time to get some paint, so we can paint the- Cuphead? Cocoa?" Mugman called for us.

Meanwhile, we came across a game called: Soul Ball, honestly it's a game I never heard of before, and in a carnival no less. 

" Say, do you wanna give it a shot?" Cuphead asked, "Y'know, double down?"

I was feeling bold, so I rolled up my sleeves like I was going to give someone a good wallop.

" Cuphead, ball me."

Cuphead took a ball and handed it over to me, to which I tossed it with much gusto.

" Winner!" Shouted the machine. I felt a sudden rush of adrenalin through my veins.

"Ya doin' great, keep goin'! Cuphead cheered me on. 

Soon a crowd drew in from all corners of the park to see me play, and cheered for me every time,  I scored another ball. The crowd cheering, the machine yelling WINNER! with every score I got, was something I never heard before, and yet, I wanted to hear these sounds for hours on end. Little did we know that we would be in hot water, very soon. 

Meanwhile, in Hell; the Devil danced and sang, about how he loved stealing souls, and tricking the locals, basically because he's proud to be bad. But had to stop to attend Henchman.