Chapter 14: Soldier, Poet, Krieg

I spent the whole afternoon playing marbles with Cuphead and Mugman, even though I was watching them play, so I could better understand how the game is played. At last, the torch was passed to me, but just when I was about to make my move...

"Kids, it's lunchtime!" Elder Kettle called us for lunch.

We got up and rushed to the table where a large plate with a container was laid in front of us.

"What's this gonna be?" I asked.

"Ohhh, it's a surprise..." Elder Kettle asked.

But after Elder Kettle lifted the lid we were shocked to see that the seemingly expensive piece of cheese had vanished before our eyes.

"Oh no, the cheese!" Elder Kettle exclaimed.

We began to search for the culprit, but then I heard little german grunts and the pitter-patter, of tiny feet.

"Look, there!" I pointed, "It's that little rat soldier with the cigar!"

" GET 'IM!" Cuphead exclaimed, and a chase and bashing started to ensue, but after all that head-bashing we groaned as the mysterious little mouse scurried away with the cheese, cackling.

"Ugggghhh, that rat took our lunch!" Mugman complained as the three of us groaned in pain.

I looked up and saw Elder Kettle looking like he'd seen a ghost. Although suffering from a lot of physical pain, I rose to my feet to comfort the elderly kettle.

"What's the matter, Elder Kettle?" I asked.

"That rat is no ordinary rodent, he was the very foe we fought back when I was in the war!" Exclaimed, "It's General Werner Werman I!"

We felt a familiar boldness crossing through our veins, as I helped them get up.

"General or no general, he can't just break into someone's house and go stealing." Mugman declared as he dusted himself.

" Well boys," I exclaimed, "whaddya say we teach this war vet, some manners?

Elder Kettle must've seen himself in me, and also saw that I had admirable qualities of a leader.

"Be careful, Cocoa," Elder Kettle warned, "this rat has tricks up his sleeve!" 

" She'll be fine," Mugman, stated, as he held my left hand, causing me to blush, but I turned into a literal tomato when Cuphead joined in and held my right.

"' Cause we're goin' with her!" He added

A look of suspicion was shown on Elder Kettle's face.

" Are you fellas in lo-"

"PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE!" We shouted, as the three of us covered his lips, and slammed the door behind us. We had to find a way to somehow turn as small as the one who stole our expensive meal, only then we could be big enough to fit through any kind of mouse hole.

"Hey," Cuphead said, as he turned, facing me," maybe you could use your powers, to make us small."

I sighed in dismay after hearing Cuphead's suggestion.

"I wish I could help you with that, but I'm still learning how to use my powers, as well as control them," I said, " However, Porkrind might be able to help us solve the issue, and I know just how to get him to help us..."

Finding ourselves standing at the door of Porkrind's Emporium, I let out a sigh. I mean, I'm used to gambling people but dealing with folks from the black market? That would be what us Morningstars would call, high-class deceit. Luckily, I had just the skill to fit the bill.