Chapter 27

Marc POV:
The sound of a glass being broken makes Hannah jump and look around with a panicked expression. She grabs my hand and I feel my heart skip a beat. Right now I'm her safety and I love it so much. Her heartbeat quickens and her breathing is shallow. I want to wrap my arms around her and pull her in to my chest, but given the reaction she had earlier I don't think it would make the situation better, so I cures her hand and with each stroke her breathing becomes more and more stable and her heart slowly returns to a normal rhythm.

She looks down at our hands and her cheeks turn pink. I can't describe how precious I find it. She removes her hand and look down as if she's embarrassed that she took my hand. Little does she know that I absolutely love it.

We walk around the store and finds som items. Pasta, chorizo, mushrooms, onions, tomato sauce and cheese. Hannah looks like a child in a toy store. She is amazed by everything from the laundry detergent to the large refrigerator sections. We walk through the clothing department as we head for the candy aisle. Suddenly she stops, her eyes widening as she looks at a dress. Slowly she touches the dress as if checking if it is even real. She loves it that much is clear.

"Try it on" I say and she instantly look up at me with shiny eyes and a glow I have never seen. But then it disappears. "I shouldn't" she says and takes a step back.

"Why not? It would look nice on you"

"I'm not supposed to where anything else but my uniform" she says and look down at the clothing she is wearing; a thin pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. She looks good in it. Like it was meant exactly for her body.

"Then where it until you're going home" I suggest.

She looks like she is actually considering it, but then she shakes her head. I can tell she wants to, but I can't figure out why she won't try it on. It's a nice navy blue lace dress. It would fit her perfectly I'm sure if it. Not wanting to push her on the subject I let it go and we walk towards the candy aisle.

She doesn't look at all the stuff with any more and her smile is gone. Something happened. And I can't figure out why the dress was such a mood killer?

I take some popcorn and some skittles.

"What do you want?" I turn my face and look at her but she doesn't notice. "Hannah?" Sill no response so I gently put a hand on her shoulder "Hannah"

"Huh? What?" She looks at me but it's like her eyes are empty. Like she has been completely drained.

"What do you want?" I repeat.

She shrugs and gives me a half smile.

My body, heart and soul is screaming inside my head to comfort her, to make her smile, to see the glow in her eyes that shined just moments ago.

I pick some stuff and we walk to the register in silence. I pay, pack the groceries and we head out to the parked car. I can't stop looking over at her. I would give the world in return for her to tell me what is happening.

"Hannah?"

"Mmh?"

"Please look at me"

Slowly she lifts her gaze from her shoes to meet my eyes.

"Please tell me what is going on. I know something happened but I can't figure out what"

"I'm fine" she says and gives me a smile. The smile doesn't reach her eyes at all and I don't believe her for a second.

"You're not fine. Please Hannah let me in"

She goes silent and looks away. It's like she is shutting down. Torn between pushing on and respecting that she doesn't want to open up to me I start the engine and begin driving us back home.

As we drive I feel like I'm sitting on needles, constantly wanting to asks her what is wrong but she has turned her back to me. The 15 minute drive suddenly feels like it's hours long.

I park the car in the driveway and jump out of the car and practically sprint around the truck to open the door. As I open the door her eyes meet mine. They are shiny like she is about to burst into tears. We look at each other for a moment without either of us saying anything but then she looks down and clear her throat. I take a step backwards and allow her to get out of the car.

She looks over at the woods before walking to the front door.

"Do you want a walk in the woods? I can carry you again" I say hopefully. But she simply shakes her head no.

I unlock the door and take a step back so she can walk in first. As I step back her eyes find mine and for a moment I think she is about to tell me something. She looks back at the door and then back to me.

"Why did you do that?" She whisper

"Do what? I don't understand Hannah" I search her eyes for a clue but then she says "why did you step away from the door?"

"What? I stepped away so you could walk in"

She walks in and I follow her closely.

"I don't understand. You open the car door for me, you tell me to look you in the eyes, you bring me food, buy me shoes, carry me around and now you let me enter the house first! I don't understand Marc" tears are spilling out her eyes as she continues "is it all a trick? Do you want something from me? Please just tell me what you want. I can't take it anymore. Please"

Her pleading makes my heart break into a million pieces.

"Hannah I don't want anything from you I promise"

"Then why do you do it?" She is trembling and her quickened heartbeat makes me want to wrap my arms around her. But I now I can't.

"Do what? Treat you decently? I open the car door because I want to, I want you to look me in the eyes because it's what peaks do when they have a conversation and because I want you to see that I mean what I say. I bring you food because I want to make sure that you eat, I bought you shoes because you hade none, or at least none that could keep you dry. I carry you on my back because you are in too much pain to walk far, and i let you walk in first because.. well because I wanted to! I want you to feel good, to be treated good! And clearly no one else has, otherwise you wouldn't find it so suspicious"

"But I'm not supposed to" she whispers.

"You're not supposed to what? To be treated with respect?"

"I'm not allowed to look people in the eyes or eat before everyone else is done. And I'm definitely not supposed to walk in first! I'm supposed to walk in last!" Her voice is raised but I'm not sure if it's me or herself she is mad at.

"You're not allowed to look people in the eyes? Or eat?.... Wait... you think I'm above you? You bow your head in submission?!" I feel my wolf trying to push through and I have to spend every ounce of self control I have not to shift. I can't shift. I know exactly what I would do. I would mark her to make sure she knows that she is my equal, and not in any way beneath me.

"I am beneath you. I'm just an amplifier. A nobody. I don't deserve to get fed first, new shoes or to have eye contact with higher ranking people" she steps away from me as she says this, my anger clearly showing. But I'm not angry with her! I'm groundbreaking fucking furious with the witches that led her to believe that she means nothing!

"You are not a nobody! You are not beneath anyone! If anyone tells you otherwise you let me know, and I will show them just how wrong they are"

"I'll stay here until the bond is broken" she suddenly says and wipe away the tears from her cheeks.