Chapter 4:

Marc POV:
Alpha Leon just left training to attend a meeting with the witches who showed up earlier than expected. Witches, they think they are better than everyone else. They think they are the superior race. Always so snobbish! It makes me sick.

Jason and I watch the younger wolves train before we also have to attend the meeting. "Do you think there are some hot witches at the meeting?" Jason asks with a raised eyebrow and a crooked smile. "No I think it's the same snobbish annoying witches who usually participate" I say as I pack my training clothes in my bag.

"I don't care if they are snobbish or annoying, I just want a hot one. Something tells me that they are amazing in bed" Jason says and winks at me.

"You're sick" I say, shaking my head. "I'll never have a witch anywhere near my bed. I don't care how hot she is"

Jason starts laughing. "As if your standard is particularly high. How is Kendal doing by the way?"

I roll my eyes and push him to the side and walk inside the pack house. As we approach the meeting I pick up a sweet scent. A scent of jasmine flowers and oranges with a hint of vanilla. My wolf is going crazy. My mate. She's in the meeting. There must be other wolves who also showed up ahead of time, because that scent doesn't belong to anyone in our pack. I can't believe I finally found her! I speed up and I'm quickly standing at the door of the room where the meeting is held. Jason hurries after me and shouts for me to slow down. "My mate" I say in a low voice so only he can hear it and then we walk in the door.

It feels like the wind is getting knocked out of me. She is beautiful. A small woman with a white dress. Her skin is fair and almost blends in with the dress. Her hair is dark and long. It is braided and hangs over her shoulder. She looks down at the ground so I can't see her face, but I can only imagine that it is as beautiful as the rest of her. I hum with satisfaction. But then it strikes me. Her scent. She's not a wolf. It can't be true! It must be a mistake! A witch. A witch! A pestilence of an existence. Anger fills my body and I growl in pure frustration. I want to tear the whole room apart. I stare at her in pure disbelief. Then it hits me. Her scent has changed. I can smell sweat and adrenaline and hear her heart beating very quickly. She i scared. But why? Witches are powerful creatures. And there's several of them gathered. She shouldn't be afraid. Of course. Not only is my mate a witch. She's a scaredy-cat as well. Perfect. Just perfect.

Alfa isn't happy with my snarl so after apologizing on my behalf Luna follows the witches out of the room. As my mate walks past me my body acts on its own. I take a step forward and inhale her scent. She smells so amazing! My mind is getting hazy and all i want to do i grab her and take her with me. She doesn't see me and hits my arm as she walks by. The simple touch of her skin sends a spark through me. It takes me a moment to recover from her touch. "I'm sorry sir" she says in a small and fragile voice and then she hurry out the room. That voice. So soft and light. No! Stop! I don't want her. I don't want her scent, her touch or hear her voice!

"So? Is she your mate?" Jason asks with a puzzled look on his face. "The witch?"

"A witch? It can't be possible. Which one of them do you think is your mate?" Alpha ask.

"It's not something I think. I know. I can feel it. Her by the wall. Thin girl, dark hair in a braid and with her head bowed" I reply in an annoyed tone.

"The frightened one with a heartbeat so loud that she can be heard throughout the entire house?" Jason says and smiles.

"Yes her" I growl.

"Ask Joanna to come in here. She must know if it is possible" Alpha says to Luke, one of the other warriors, and he leaves the room immediately.

After a while Luke and Joanna enter the room. Joanna is 62 years old, and knows more than most. She has been in the pack all her life, and has gathered knowledge about both wolves but also other creatures throughout her life. "Joanna my dear friend. It can't be possible that a wolf and a witch can be mates can it?" alpha asks with an expectant glare.

"It is quite true that wolves most often find their mate in another wolf. But it happens in very rare cases that a wolf finds his or hers mate in another creature. It can be a witch or a human" Joanna explains.

"Can it be broken?" I ask, looking at Joanna.

"What do you mean?" Joanna asks with a doubtful look.

"The mate bond. Can it be broken so that she is no longer my mate?" I elaborate, still looking at Joanna, who looks back at me in horror.

"What? Are you serious?" Jason ask. "You've finally found her!"

"Yes I'm serious. I don't want her. She's a witch. I'm a wolf. I refuse." I state

"Shouldn't you get to know her first? There's a reason she's your mate" says Alpha and sits back in his chair.

"No. I just want it broken" I say with a serious look on my face. Why don't they understand? I am a warrior of the highest rank. I can't have a witch as a mate. I would be ridiculed!

"Okay. It's your own choice. Is it possible Joanna?" Alpha asks and looks at Joanna.

"I do not know. Maybe. A bond between a wolf and a witch is not something that happens often, so I will have to dig deep for information. And it is not at all certain that it is possible to find something" Joanna says and gives me a vague smile that don't reach her eyes.

"Okay then. What do we do with the witch in the meantime? Now that you've found her, the distance between you will be unbearable if she goes home" Alfa says whilst he scratches his neck.

"I don't know. I need to think" I exclaim and leave the room with quick steps. My head is about to explode. All the things to decide on. Why couldn't I just have a wolf as a mate like everyone else? I walk around the pack house finally deciding to leave.

"Help! We need a doctor!" One of the witches shouts. She is waving her arms to gain attention and repeats "We need a doctor"

The feeling of a blow to the stomach overwhelms me. It is her. My mate. I don't know why, but I'm sure it's her who needs help.

"Find Dr. Leroy! Send him to the guest wing" I shout to a woman in the hallway and run towards the witch.

As I walk in the door I see her. She is lying on the floor pale and lifeless. Her hair is fanned out around her, reminiscent of a halo. Her eyes are closed and my first thought is that she is dead.

Panic rushes through me at the thought of her dying. I kneel down next to her and lift her upper body up into my lap. I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear her heart beat. It's weak. Too weak. But it beats and that's what matters.

"We don't want to create a fuss with our little problems. We send her home with a driver and then they take care of her at home" a man says and smiles.

Small problems? She's dying! I growl warningly at him and hug her closer to me. If he tries to take her from me, he'll regret it deeply! He backs away and looks at me in shock. He's scared of me. And rightfully so.

Alpha, Luna, Jason and the doctor run inside the guest room. "Oh no" Luna sighs and holds a hand on to her chest.

The doctor kneels on the other side of her, and places a hand on her arm. "Lie her on the floor" he says.

I growl again and tighten my grip on her.

"Marc release her and let the doctor see her. You know he's not hurting her" Alpha commands.

I reluctantly let go of her and gently lay her on the floor. The doctor examines her and says "She needs a shot of adrenaline and lots of fluids. We need to get her down to the clinic so we can monitor her and examin her properly"

I lift her up in my arms and carry her out of the room. Her body is so small and weak. I hold her tight into my body and her scent overwhelmes my senses and at the same time I feel the spark in my body as her skin touches mine. If they think I'm letting them take her home after this then they got another thing coming. I'll protect her. I'll keep her safe.