Chapter 13: Funeral

The day that their was a funeral for all of pack thirteen the whole forest was silent. No birds sang, no fae danced upon the tree tops and no wolves froilicked underneath the ancient forest trees. The sky was a miserable grey color that made only the promise of rain. It was a very somber day.

Since there 20 bodies including the Alpha and Luna it was agreed by pack 7 that the funeral would be one big pyre. Hastily the adult of seven worked quickly and tirelessly to complete the pyre using fallen branches and dying trees(since the forest had been shrinking already). Once completed it stood just above the tree line in the open meadow that Deliah and her siblings had once played in. 

The procession to the pyre was rather short. Only those of Seven, the forest witch and Deliah were present. Deliah stared at the pyre solemenly her eyes already stained red with tears. All the bodies had been nicely wrapped in sparse linen and tucked carefully into the great pyre. Almost as if they were merely sleeping and would wake up at any moment. Though Deliah knew that wasn't true. Winnie laid down by her feet and whinned rather mournfully in her wolf form. Deliah crouched down and then sat beside her. She rest her head against her side. Deliah didn't need to use her gifts to know what Winnie was feeling. It mirrored her own grief and depsair. Only when the forest witch said a few brief words and lit the pyre did Deliah realize her parents were truly gone.

Her papa would never give her warm hugs. Mama would never be there to cuddle. Colton was gone too(in a different way but, gone). Those very thoughts rested heavily on the little girl's chest and she cried all over again. Her tears mixed and joined the howling of the wolves. Throughout the mournful tune Deliah couldn't help but wonder if pack 12 would allow Colton to cry. He had always been a crybaby. The thought was another painful jab at Deliah's tender heart.

I wish Colton were here, Winnie said.

And Mama and Papa, Deliah added, trying to wipe away her tears.

We are all that remains, Winnie said solemnly.. 

We'll save him, Deliah vowed. The little girl stared at the ground with clenched fist. So much sorrow and anger for someone still so new to the world. As the words rang out, Deliah felt the weight of them nestled deep into her heart. 

Even when Deliah was told to say good bye to Winnie the promise of saving Colton filled her thoughts. She was still so small and a frail wisp of a girl. But Deliah felt confident that the Forest Witch and Alpha Seven would save their brother.

"Deliah...its time to go," Granny said gently placing a hand on her bony shoulder.

"Granny?"

"Yes?"

"Colton. He can be saved right?"

The old woman looked at the funeral pyre rather wistfully. The single bell on her staff jangled mournfully. In the light of pyres she looked too old and wrinkled for life. A being beyond ancient and past the deadline for deceased.

"Yes," Granny wavered. The forest witch's false confidence evidence in her tone. Deliah's shoulders sagged and she leaned on the already frail old woman for support. Tears began to stream down her eyes. Granny gently rubbed her back but that was it.

The old woman didn't feel like lying, because, for the first time in what felt like eons the witch was unsure of any outcome. It could have been because the forest was weakening or because of age. Or maybe both. Something had shifted in the forest the moment Deliah was left at the edge of it all those years ago. The Witch had sensed it then and even now things were changing slowly but, still they were changing. That was kept the witch's hope alive. Maybe even amidst all this death there was still hope.

..............................................................................................................................................................

Dear reader,

I hope you liked this chapter. I know it was a little short but I think there needed to be some closure about all the death that occured in the previous chapters and its aftermath on everyone. That being said this is the last chapter in part one. All chapter from this point on will take place ten years later with Deliah, Winnie and Colton being Seventeen. 

If you liked this chapter please feel free to comment or vote. I love reading feedback and seeing how everyone feels after reading the chapter.

Stay safe and Healthy! 

Maple