Chapter 5: In which an Unwanted Visitor pays Deliah a visit.

It was the morning after the full moon ritual and Deliah was happily asleep, cozily snuggled up with mama and her siblings. Winnie was lightly yipping in her sleep and poking Colton with her paw. Each sibling lay on either side of Deliah lost in their own dreams. All three of them were sandwhiched between the dirt wall and their Mama. Winnie curled her tiny fingers into mama's fur and snoozed lightly. Papa Wolf lay across the entrance with his paws crossed and his great furry head upon them. 

Wolves are very territorial about their dens even among their own packs. It was considered a sacred space reservered for family and invited guests. It was also the male wolf's job to guard the entrance while the others slept. The full moon had already set Papa on edge so he only partially slept. There had been something...different this time. He didn't know what but he wasn't taking any chances.

Dawn had approached their little den in the hill and a few birds chirped merrily ushering in another day. However, Deliah's peaceful sleep ended when she was yanked from her slumber by Mama's growl. The little girl groaned and rubbed her eyes, then blinked. Her body went tense. Mama had her hackles raised and was sheiding her cubs from something. It was Papa wolf's deep growl that made Winnie and Colton move closer to her in fear. Something was really wrong. They couldn't see what was going on but, they could hear.

Two other wolves were snarling at their parents. It wasn't just a regular snarl it was a deep low snarl. Something that normally meant a fight was inevitable.

"We come in peace mutt," Said a man's voice. Deliah furrowed her brow.  Why would a man be here? It was the beginning of a new month. It didn't make any sense. She tried to peek around Mama wolf but was met with a with a quick low growl. Deliah nodded and scrambled back against the wall with her siblings. Winnie layed her head in Deliah's lap and Colton stood in front of them though he was trembling just as bad as his sisters. Though his hackles were raised and his ears were flat against his head. He was trying and the sight made Deliah's heart melt with appreciation. Even in a scary situation her siblings gave her strength. Her heart twinged with sadness. If only she could do the same for them. But she wasn't a wolf. 

"What's new Alpha ? We sensed something was amiss in your pack," Said another man his voice deeper and richer. He said alpha with mock respect. It bristled Deliah the way these men had come so close to their den without invitation and how they were being disrespectful to Papa. 

"Tell us dearest Alpha why your ritual sounded less pitiful then usual? Have you forgotten why you and your pack are nothing but a bunch of disgraceful mutts?"

At this Papa snarled and lunged straight for the men. The man who spoke first dodged easily and kicked the mossy brown wolf in the side and there was a sickening crack. That was when Mama moved. There was a defening roar that shook their den. Mama charged straight at the same man. He was very tall and in the morning light outside the cave it made his height seem endless. Mama had his right arm in her jaw and she drew blood. The very tall man only laughed making Deliah's skin crawl. He grabbed Mama by the scruff of her neck and threw her to the side. Then he leaned his face into the cave. Colton growled a warning and Winnie sprung up and joined him. Standing in front of Deliah. 

"So that's what the bitch was protecting. Two cubs and...one shrimp of a girl?" The tall man said a puzzling expression fell on his face. He scrunched his eyebrows together and sniffed the air. Then he let out a low sickening whistle of approval. Winnie growled at the man again shielding her sister completely from his view.

"Well you and your worthless pack are full of surprises aren't ya? Tell me mutt how did you come across this interesting human," said the other man he was shorter but menacing all the same. Papa only growled and got up putting himself in front of his cubs and wounded mate. "Humans aren't supposed to be able to enter the forest and yet her she is."

"Let's just go already! They have a human nothing else is wrong," said the taller man dusting off his shirt and spitting on the ground.

"Might as well. Even the magic on their accursed ground is different..,like," the shorter man dropped his voice, "like his." The shorter man exchanged a glance with the taller one. It was a grim look. Then they turned into wolves and ran away leaving a bewildered Deliah and two injured parents. She shakily rose from her place on the ground and slowly walked to the entrance of their den. Winnie and Colton followed on either side both their ears had gone flat. 

Deliah saw Papa looking wildly from his cubs to his mate and then around the tall trees of the forest. His eyes had lost their golden glow and were darker then a starless night. Then he raised his head to the sky and let out a low, very loud ear splitting howl. So did Winnie and Colton.

The wolves were going hunting.