Part two Chapter 13: The Saint of Wolves

What are you Inigo?  asked  Deliah as she floated in the dark void. It didn't feel ominous, but safe. Like she could stay here forever and no harm would come for her.

hhhhmmm, thrummed the voice through the void like the purr of a cat, I suppose right now I am nothing, but I used to be something. Inigo enjoyed talking in riddles. It was something Deliah loved and loathed about him.

Why do you always speak in riddles, Deliah exasperated. She could feel the void skitter with nervousness and unease.

I don't always, replied Inigo. It was a half truth and they both knew it. Whenever Deliah asked about who or what he was, the riddles seemed endless. Of all the dreams she had with him felt as comforting as they did dizzying. Still in these dreams she wasn't the Saint of  wolves. She was Deliah. Just Deliah. 

Sure you don't, Deliah teased. 

I don't dear, replied Inigo but his words were a caress instead of just sound. Deliah shivered.

Why do you call me that?

Because I want to. 

But I'm not.

Not what? Inigo asked amusement lacing his voice. 

Your dear.

Inigo laughed and it caressed her again. She only glared into void. 

Not yet.  

.................................................................................................................................................

"Deliah! DELIAH!!!" Screeched granny. Deliah sat straight up in bed and stared at the old witch through the hazy candle and bright moon light. The witch was dressed in a cloak of deep brown and her staff held a light melting candle in the middle. Ribbons and bell adorned the thinner branches of her staff.

"Granny? Its nearly high moon," Deliah said groggily as she rubbed her eyes. The thoughts from her dreams detiriorating faster than a candle burning at both ends. The warmth she felt from Inigo dissappeared as cold reality set in. 

"Deliah. Get dressed Pack Seven needs your help," Granny said scurrying out of the room before Deliah could ask any questions. They were forming on her tongue and she knew the faster she got dressed the sooner they'd be answered.

Deliah threw her blankets to the floor and jumped out of bed. Granny's words echoed in her head and her heart ached with worry. Deliah threw on her plain brown dress and grey shawl. Then she crammed her feet into thick soled boots and tied them in double knots. Finally, she stood in front of the mirror and attempted to braid her fiery hair into something managable. She tied the ragged braid off with a simple white ribbon that held a single bell. She glanced at her reflection and groaned. Stray hairs were already forming around her head and dark circles were already beginning to form under her bright eyes. She looked like a reedy wraith come back to haunt the living. Deliah smiled at the thought. Maybe looking like a vengeful wraith was a good thing.

"Deliah! Hurry it up," Granny barked. Deliah shut the door to her room and took the stairs by two. The bell in hair jangling in angry furry. It matched the irratic thumping of her heart. Adreneline had burned whatever little warmth she had felt in that blissful dream. She sighed heavily. If....she could go back to that blissful warmth. 

Granny was already waiting by the front door with Deliah's forest green cloak in hand. Deliah took the cloak and fastened it around her shoulders. Then Granny ushered her out the front door and into a sea of never ending fog that looked thicker than the moss that carpeted the floor. Above the skeletal trees of fall hung a moon that cast an etheral spell among the forest. It was eerily quiet even for early Autumn. Something was wrong, Deliah could feel it. An uneasy chill crept through the forest and it only seemed to burrow itself deeper into Deliah's body. Her cloak and shawl did nothing to ward it away. It gnawned at her reedy form.