Chapter 10: Meeting Part 2

You dare question my Luna! Papa snarled.

Alpha Thirteen if that is the case then present us proof. Let us see your cubs. Just show us and we'll be on our way, Seven said in a normal voice that wasn't growling and snarling. That seemed to cause the other Alphas and the rest of their packs to calm down slightly. But it did nothing to dispel the growing tension in the air.

How can I trust you? How do I know this isn't a ploy to kill my cubs?

How else will we know if they have the fraternal bond? Asked Alpha Seven. Once we  sense  it you won't see us. You have my word as an Alpha and your Brother in law.

Brother in law? Brother in law? That meant...Deliah's head was spinning as she was tried to put the piece together.

We have an Uncle? Colton questioned.

No way! He's got to be lying. Mama would have told us if we had an Uncle. Winnie proclaimed.

Maybe she didn't know how? Deliah suggested. The darker legacy of their pack had been one thing among many their parents had difficulty discussing. Deliah could feel it whenever they tried to shutter their emotions. So surely, she mused, there was a reason for Mama and Papa keeping this a secret.

All my brothers are dead! The one that remains is nothing but a coward, snarled Mama.

I know what I did was wrong but...

It was beyond wrong! I should have hunted you down and feasted on your entrails myself! Why did I only take an eye! The only thing that saved you were my cubs, growled Mama wolf. 

If you see our cubs, you will leave us in peace?

You have my word as an Alpha and failed excuse for a brother and in law.

Very well but I see any wolves so much as inch towards them you'll see just how cursed  the Thirteen pack truly is, Papa said with another snarl. 

Winnie, Colton and Deliah? Papa called just like how Deliah had talked to Winnie and Colton in the forest today. His voice felt heavy in their heads. Deliah could feel his tiredness like it was her own.

Yes? They answered in unison.

I imagine you heard our conversation like the rest of the pack. The Alphas need proof that you have your fraternal bond. If they so much as inch towards any of you, Take Deliah and run. Understand. 

Yes Papa. I will even ride on Winnie's back just in case. Deliah promised. That seemed to quell their father's nerves for now. 

Deliah hopped onto Winnie's back and Colton lead the way through the trees and into the meadow. The sparse amount of wolves in their pack made a path for them. A couple pressed there nose to Winnie and Colton's side in a reassuring way. After what felt like a century and three quarters Deliah and her siblings stood in front of Papa and Mama.

The three Alphas sniffed the air a couple of times but, didn't move towards them just as Alpha Seven had promised. In fact he seemed to just stare at the three siblings curiously as if he couldn't decide whether they had the Fraternal bond or not. All three of the wolfish children had their heads bowed. Even though they were their Alpha's kin they still had to abide by the rules.

Hmmm. They have a bond, but its unnatural. The human cub is the problem. She is neither Wolf nor human, commented Alpha Six.

She wreaks of ancient magic, which is why we should dis...

Please finish your thought Twelve. Because when you do my fangs will be at your throat!

Alpha Thirteen, please forgive him. He's newer and let's his mouth speak before his mind can think, Seven said. He hasn't been around for more than a century. The Alpha before him passed only a few months ago.

Clearly his predecessor forgot to teach him some manners.

Yes. However, they do have a bond and it does appear to be of fraternal nature, but something is different.

So? Mama snapped.

We don't know if its because she is a mere human or if its the ancient magic. Its the magic that puzzles me. 

What is there to puzzle over? She has a fraternal bond.

The girl poses a threat because she smells of ancient magic! exclaimed Alpha Six.

Exactly and it smells a little too familar.

Just what are you implying Seven?  Papa snarled again.

She smells like the Saint of Wolves but, Magdalina died two centuries ago. And she clearly isn't Magdalina.

Of course she isn't! You've got your proof be on your way and don't you ever use her name again! You coward, snarled Mama. She inched towards her cubs protectively.

I maybe your brother, but I am still an Alpha sister.

You only got the title because they perished, and I was betrothed! Don't think I wouldn't have challenged you all those years ago.

Tell me Brother in law. Did anyone pay your pack a visit? Perhaps of the ancient variety?

Would it make you go away if I answered?

It might help ease some of the tension but, I can't speak for the other Alphas. 

She was found like this.

Your lying cursed Alpha. I can smell it! Snapped Six. 

Why don't you spare us the trouble and tell us the truth!  balked Alpha Twelve. 

If I speak the truth you won't beleive me or worse! 

Lying or saying nothing will make you look worse Alpha 13, said Seven with a sigh. He seemed tired and wanting to be anywhere but here.

She was visited by the Forest Witch and blessed with the title saint of Wolves. That's why you smell ancient magic, said Papa wolf carefully watching the other Alphas.

Impossible! Your lying! Roared Six.

You can sense the magic, can't you?

Isn't one tragedy enough? Roared Twelve. His eyes flashy with a violent sheen. It chilled Deliah to her bones. Yet she felt a haunting sadness from him.

Tragedy? Tragedy? You speak as if you were there! Don't speak, what you don't know, Snarled Mama wolf. 

I know that it was your cursed pack and HER that drove HIM to nearly slaughter us all! Roared Twelve and that was when he charged straight for Papa. 

The mounting tension turned into unrivaled chaos.  The whole thirteen pack howled in anger as the wolve from the three other packs began to attack. The sounds of howls and vicious snarling filled the air. Winnie and Colton broke into a dead run and Deliah clung to Winnie for dear life. All around her she could feel the anguish, pain and sheer primal violence around her. It stung her head and caused her eyes to form tears. She had never experience a collective amount of pain on this level and it had only just begun.

Winnie and Colton were deeper into the forest and they could still hear the desperate and vicious howls as if they were standing in the meadow.