Chapter 6: Deliah Finds the Forest Witch

Deliah and her siblings were left with their wounded mama in their den. Papa had took off into a dead run howling louder and angrier than a banshee. Before he left he had gave a warning snarl to all three of his cubs. Then he was gone. In the distance barking and angry howls filled the air. All the wolves in their pack were riled and angry. Deliah may not have been a wolf but she knew deep down in their bones that they were hunting those men. 

Mama was in pain. When the man had thrown her she hit a piece of sharp jagged rock causing her to break a few ribs and a long jagged gash that looked impossibly deep. Winnie and Colton were nuzzling her gently and trying to lick her wound. Deliah could only watch as a twinge of jealousy snaked its way around her heart. She wasn't a wolf so she couldn't lick Mama's wound and she had no snout to nuzzle her with. She was painfully human.

She hated how human she was. Deliah wrung her hands together and tried to wrack her brain for something useful that she could do. That's when Deliah remembered the Wolf Reed. It was a thin reedy plant that grew alongside stream banks throughout the forest. It was called Wolf reed because it cured most wolf related injuries. 

Mama had shown her the Wolf Reed when her siblings had come down with a terrible fever. Mama had lowered her head so Deliah could hop on her back. She had taken Deliah to a stream on the other side of the meadow. Mama started grabbing the thin reed with her mouth and Deliah started grabbing some with her hands. They took it back and during the next full moon Mama had explained that it was Wolf Reed and that it could just about any wolf related sickness. It was also high in nutrients, perfect for growing cubs. Mama had always put it in their soup during the full moon. Deliah was determined to get that reed. Then mama would feel better and everything would be okay. She would get a chance to be useful.

"Winnie, Colton. Watch Mama for me," Deliah said as she squared her shoulders and walked towards the den entrance. Colton grabbed her by the edge of her grubby dress. At this point it was more dirt then dress. Then Winnie blocked the entrance and whined. Deliah sighed and reached both her hands to pat her siblings' heads. "I am going to pick Wolf Reed. It can help Mama." Winnie gave another whine of protest and Colton held firm to her dress. She sighed again. This was going to be more difficult. "I will do it. Plus...the sooner Mama gets better the sooner we can cuddle," Deliah said pointing out the obvious motive for going against their father's wishes. At this both the cubs yipped playfully and went to the entrance of the cave. "No. I need to go alone. Both of you need to stay here and protect her. I don't have fangs or claws...but you do," Deliah said tears welling up in her eyes. Both her siblings nudged her and licked her hands. Then they went back to Mama Winnie layed by her side. Colton sat in front of them. They both seemed to be saying go and be safe

Deliah took a shaky breath and stepped out into the forest. The sun was already high in the sky, yet the creatures of the forest were eerily quiet today. Not even bird song could be heard. If Deliah had hackles they would have been raised. She continued to walk caustiously under the thick under brush. Her eyes scanned the groud for a faint trail that would lead her to the meadow. Leaves lightly crunched underneath her feet and the heavy smell of heat and earth filled the air. 

When she reached the outskirts of the meadow she paused. Papa and a group of other wolves had gathered in the open meadow and Deliah's heart sank. She would have to skirt around the meadow which would take longer. However, if she got caught there would be no Wolf Reed and she would go back to being useless. Deliah retreated further away from the clearing and began to walk in the direction of the stream. If she stayed away from the out skirt of the meadow then Papa wouldn't catch her scent or her hair. It was annoylingly bright shade of red and hiding among the vegeation only worked so well. Her tiny fit continued to tread lightly among the decaying leaves and moss. 

The Sun had disappeared behind a cloud drowning the forest in a cool breeze and deeper shadow. She heard the stream before she saw it and hurried her pace. The stream was bathed in deeper shadow as Deliah approached it. Wolf Reed was growing on either side and Deliah could have gave a shout of joy if she wasn't in a hurry and worried about Papa hearing. The stream was still close to the meadow and she doubted that he had left yet.

She reached down to pluck a reed when she heard someone clear their throat. Startled Deliah turned to see an old woman not more than three feet tall staring at her with eyes brighter than a starry night sky. Her face was a map of laugh lines and worry lines. She had white hair that stood out on all ends and her clothes were decaying leaves and moss. Everything about the woman seemed ancient and Deliah knew that she was in the presence of an ancient being. Though she wasn't sure if the woman was fey, imp, sprite or Wolf. Deliah bowed her head deeply. Mama and Papa had told her to do so if she were ever to encounter another creature of the forest. Specially one that wasn't wolf. Bowing was a universal sign of respect.

"Such a well mannared child," cooed the woman and her voice too seemed ancient. "Knowing to bow before your elders be they wolf or something entirely different," finished the woman. Then she looked at Deliah rather closely. Her greying catipillar eyebrows knit together, "Odd your human but not. Tell me young one why do you need Wolf Reed?"

"My Mama got hurt. She needs help," Deliah said her voice wavering. She was on the brink of crying again.

"I see and what is your Mama dear?" Asked the old woman again eyeing the girl curiously.

"A wolf but...soon she'll be like me again. All my family will," Deliah said though she felt rather protective about explaining the whole thing to this woman. Something urged her to keep the full moon part to herself. Like it was a great secret that couldn't be trusted with just anyone. Wolf or other being.  The woman must have seen the guardedness in Deliah's eyes because chuckled a little and began to talk again.

"Hmmm. I see. Your rather charming my dearest Deliah. Your devotion to your family and pack is inspiring. Especially for this old hag." Chuckled the woman again. 

"Really?" Deliah asked hopefully. The Wolf Reed momentarily forgotten. 

"Yes really. It been a while since I had good converstaion. As a thanks I would like to give you two gifts."

"Can they help heal Mama?"

"Oh they can do more than just heal Deliah my dear," said the Old woman stretching her thin reedy arms. "Do you accept them?"

"Yes."

The old woman raised her hands above her head and the very air around them became lighter and tinged with magic. Deliah could feel it gently caress her face and dance around her feet. It was so different from the magic she had felt during the full moon. Could magic feel like this?

"My dearest Deliah here is my first gift: You will be blessed with a deep afinity for all wolves. You will feel their fear, pain, joy and share their strength. My second and last gift is the power and name sake as the Saint of Wolves. You will heal and help those in need," finished the old woman with a small smile. The magic recceeded from the air but Deliah's whole entire body was buzzing with a new kind of energy. She could hear all the different birdsongs far off in the distance and she could taste the wind and smell all of its different scents. 

"Thank you granny. I hope we can meet again," Deliah said bowing politely. The woman gave her another genuine smile.

"I hope we do too my dearest. Just don't disappoint me," said the woman with a wave of hand. She vanished and Deliah was left alone by the stream with a bunch of Wolf reed in her tiny hands.

She raced home her hope soaring and keeping her afloat.