Between Two Worlds

"Okay so complete the square in the quadratic function f given by f(x) = 2x2 - 6x + 4" Josie asks Hope sitting on a chair in the school library.

"Well f(x) = 2(x2 - 3x) + 4 : factor 2 out in the first two terms = 2(x2 - 3x + (-3/2)2 - (-3/2)2) + 4 : add and subtract (-3/2)2 = 2(x - 3/2))2 - 1/2 : complete square and group like terms. Like I said I'd ace this test" Hope answered.

"Okay well one more question Factor the expression 6x² - 13x + 5?"

"Okay eh, yeah I got it 6x² - 13x + 5 = (3x - 5)(2x - 1) see I got it in the bag. Kinda great at maths"

"If you say so also try not to miss this test it's very important"

"Yeah I know I won't and thanks for tutoring me"

"Even though you don't need it" Hope chuckled

"Trust me it's exactly what I need" If you know what I mean.

"I thought you said-"

"I know what I said"

Josie was right not about the tutoring thing but about the no distractions. This is my fifth retake on the test and I really need it. So I told my fan club robbers to be silent for today well until school hours. Besides, Josie spent her time tutoring me and I want to make it up to her by actually taking the test.

"Hey, how about a bet?" Hope asked, causing Josie to pay attention.

"What type of bet?" Josie asked

"Well if I take the test and pass will you... eh, can treat me to dinner?" Hope asked silently, wishing she would say yes. "Don't worry I'll pay."

"So like a date?" Josie states and Hope nods "Sure why not but if you lose than you have to do something for me okay, and you don't have to pay and before you say anything it will be a reward"

"Sure" Hope replied quickly. I mean not really a challenge, I would do anything for you. "Though we will see about the payment" Josie chuckled

"We'll see. Ground rule though you have to stay with it from the beginning meaning no leaving twenty minutes in the middle of the test" Josie said.

"What if you have to poop?" Hope asked and Josie gave her a serious look which made her chuckle "What? It's a genuine question. Can't blame my tummy if it gives out"

"Well your tummy better hold it," Josie said.

"Wow that cold even for you"

"What can I say I'm in my villian area"

"Damn, Dark Josie hear she comes"

"Oh like that"

__________________

Test the most annoying part of school well at least for me. I mean don't get me wrong I love learning new things especially science and maths but tests... I hate tests. I know it's to see how much we know but why does it have to affect our permanent record. The only thing I like is sitting in silence but even that is taken away from me as Mr.Salvatore is listening to the radio. He says this will equip us for the distractions in real life. Let's just hope there isn't any trouble today. I really want that date with Josie.

"Okay no cheating, follow the rules, and not leave the classroom without permission like some people" He said handing a paper to me with a suspicious look. Also am I tripping or was that 'leaving the classroom without permission' targeted at me. "Begin as you get your paper"

Everything was going great for Hope. It was actually working out. There had been no interruptions and she was crushing the test answers. I guess those tutor things actually help. Even though it was just an excuse to hangout with Josie. Hope was almost done with her test when the most annoying thing happened. Why just Why?.It was almost too good to be true that she didn't get distrubbed and now her wish was thrown back at her face because there was a breaking at the historical museum. Sometimes I hate my job.