Chapter 113

King Rion's POV

I'd watched them since the red dragon first arrived. When she awoke this morning her essence screamed out to me and the rest of Fairie. I'd wondered for years if she was still alive. I knew Erebus was furious when I reneged on our deal, but when her age of maturity passed, I began to believe she really had been killed. If he had her, then he would have forced an heir when she came of age. That's what I would have done, even if she is my daughter.

I admit I was surprised and even impressed by her consorts. Each one seemed to possess deep magic and was bonded to her already, well except the human. There was something unique about him. Originally, I had planned to kill him quickly, but now, I'd need to consider my options with him. His quick inquiry about the food was brilliant. He had potential. The others would bring a heavy price at market. The Undines had already offered a generous amount for the mermen, and the dragon could be easily controlled by shadow. He'd already shown that weakness, so it would be a matter of simple Fae magic to seal his soul. The bids for an enchanted dragon would be immeasurable. Each one had value and would help reinforce my rule of the two kingdoms. Now I just needed to determine if my long-lost daughter was of use to me. I wasn't sure to what extent Erebus had damaged her.

I watched as she inspected the room for a few moments, then motioned for her to sit. Once she was seated, I signaled for the guard to bring Zura in. Around her neck hung a collar fashioned out of Mountain Ash. Her skin was burnt where the berries had made contact, and her eyes were a dull color and lifeless. Eveleen gasped, gripping the armchair tightly. "What have you done to her?"

"I've simply helped her become more compliant and honest," I smirked. The guard led Zura to stand so that she was facing us. "Kneel to your King and Princess, Zura," I commanded softly. The elder Fae fell to her knees obediently. "Now, I need you to explain what Erebus has done to my daughter."

"His servant, Phineas, bound her soul with an iron core ruby. Then Erebus tainted the stone with his shadow soul essence. A short time ago, Phineas cracked the stone, causing it to leak essence and attract demons and shadows alike. That is what brought our group to Fairie. The stone still resides within her. We have not been able to remove it, however, it seems to no longer be cracked. I do not know how that happened, Your Majesty." Her voice was flat and emotionless as she recounted the details to me.

"Why is she like that?" Eveleen asked with tears in her eyes. "Why does she act like she can't really see us?"

"Because she can't," I scoffed, "The Mountain Ash is toxic to our kind. She can only do what I command while she wears the collar. She cannot lie, mislead, or betray me in any way."

"But Fae can't lie," she gasped, "Why torture her?"

I laughed at her innocence. Being raised away from Fairie seems to have made her more mortal than Fae. "Just because we can't lie, doesn't mean we cannot choose our words carefully. For example, I told your companions I would not harm them if they came peacefully. While that is true, I made no reassurances on their safety once they leave my possession."

"What do you mean," she growled, her eyes narrowing as she studied me.

"Easy daughter. That stone keeps your powers bound, and even if it didn't, you have no hope of defeating me." I took a long sip of my tea and then continued, "I have no use for your consorts, beyond profit. They will be sold to the highest bidders - some as breeding stock, others as pets, or whatever else their new masters choose to do with them. They cannot resist me. My magic has already suppressed theirs. Sure some of them can still shift, but their magic is useless."

She gasped, "You can't...can't sell them off like livestock! They're people! I won't let you do this."

That made me howl with laughter. Oh, at least she's got spirit. "Daughter, to me they are just that - livestock and profit. I control every living creature in my two realms, and you would do well to remember that. Better yet, let me show you." I motioned to the guards. They drew back a heavy red curtain that hid a swirling mirror. I gave an evil smirk, "Zura, do I need to know any further information about my daughter?"

"No, Your Majesty."

"Good. I thank you for your service to Fairie, please cross to the Summerlands now." Eveleen cried out as the elder stepped to the mirror and faded into it, leaving a pile of flowers on the floor as her spirit crossed over and her body was reclaimed. "Now, let's go and visit your consorts. I believe they should know of their fates, don't you, Eveleen?" She sobbed as I took her by the arm and led her to the throne room.

Author's Notes: Okay, truth time - who else out there enjoys writing from the villain's POV sometimes?  

Follow, comment, and vote my lovelies!