Chapter 51

Eveleen's POV

My head hurt as I tried to open my eyes. I tried to raise my hand to rub them only to feel a burning sensation around my wrists - iron. I tried to reach out to my soul bonds, but the metal blocked my connection. Blinking a few times, I took in my surroundings. It was a simple room with what appeared to be a sink, apothecary, and workbench. There were also two cots including the one that I was shackled to. I couldn't see any windows, and there was only a single door. Each tug at my restraints yielded more pain as the cuffs and chains attached to each limb were solid iron.

I stilled my efforts as the door opened and Reggie walked in. "Oh good, you're awake Ylfa. I was starting to worry. It's been almost a whole day already." I gasped slightly. The guys must be going crazy. "Well now that you're awake, we need to discuss a few details of your stay." He moved to the bench and picked up a flat stone. "Do you know what this is Ylfa?"

"A smoky quartz," I snarked.

He slapped me across my face, making my head jerk to the side. "You would be wise to show respect, little witch. Maybe you need to see what I can do." Spittle flew from his mouth as he spoke, twisting his mouth into a sadistic grin. "Bring her!" he barked at the door. The Lydia creature came into the room dragging a young woman by her hair. She placed the girl on the cot next to me, holding her down.

"Please, help me, don't let them, please," the girl begged me as if I could do anything other than witness what was to come.

Reggie walked to the side of the cot, making sure I had a full view. He placed the stone in the center of the girl's chest and began reciting his spell. She continued to attempt to scream and thrash, but Lydia held her tightly. When Reggie stopped speaking I watched in horror as the stone began to sink into her chest, glowing a bright red. I had heard of soul-binding stones, but I'd never seen one used. Phineas would often use them on his soulbonds to keep the advantages of the bonding but none of the commitment of actually caring for a person.

In my shock, I hadn't seen the shade enter the room. Lydia stepped back as the new shade came forward, plunging its claws into the young girl's chest. It pulled out the stone, examined it, and swallowed it whole. I made a strangled noise as I watched the shade climb on the cot and sink into the girl's immobile form, then she sat up as if nothing had happened. Swinging her legs over the cot, she smirked at me. "Hello, fairy." Unlike Lydia, this shade sounded exactly like the girl it possessed. "I was so hoping it was your soul I was going to eat, but this one will do." She got up, brushed her fingers along my cheek, bent down, and kissed my forehead. "I look forward to you joining us, fairy. My King has chosen well," she whispered, then she left the room with Lydia following.

A booming laugh filled the air. "Do you understand now, Ylfa? Fighting me is useless. What awaits you is far more than I could ever dream of. Phineas has a contract to fulfill. You were promised to Erebus. He will devour your soul and make you his slave, and in return, the Daghishat coven will be given the power to create our own army of shades. Then we can finally put down that horrid Council and raise witches to their rightful place above the humans." He moved back to the bench retrieving another stone. "Now, be a good girl and lay still. I promise the stone will not be removed until Erebus chooses. In the meantime, it will just keep you more, well, shall we say, compliant." He showed me the jewel. "I chose this just for you, Ylfa. Rubies contain iron, so this will help block your magic as well."

I felt him place the ruby on my chest, wincing at the slight burn. My breathing became labored and my body felt like it was burning as the stone began to sink within me. It made me think of a magnet as if my insides were being drawn towards that one small spot. I heard the clinking of the cuffs dropping, but made no movement. My body felt heavy as Reggie took my hand and pulled me into a sitting position. "Your father will be here shortly, my dear. Let's go get you prepared." I wanted to tell him that Phineas wasn't my father, but I could only nod my consent.