𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒: 𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐒 𝐀 𝐁𝐈𝐆 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

Start from the beginning

So, yeah, Eris was fine.

She just didn't wake up.

One of the Apollo kids said she was fine, she just didn't want to wake up. She'd eventually wake up but they couldn't tell when.

So, they spent most of the last of summer sitting at Eris's bedside. Annabeth would come and read to her, Tyson would come and make sure her hair was always taken care of, and Grover would play songs on his flute. Jeremiah would just sit with her and play music.

And Percy would just sit there and talk to Eris. He'd tell her everything from what he ate that morning to any drama on camp.

It was hard at first. Seeing how vulnerable Eris could be as she lay there, he got used to it.

And then Eris did wake up.

Tyson had burst into the big house screaming Eris was awake and no one wasted a moment before rushing over.

But...Eris wasn't Eris.

They told her everything that happened when she was asleep but all she did was bury herself in her covers, not a word slipped from her lips. They tried to get her to talk but sometimes it felt useless. Not even Nico could break through to her but at least she let him and Tyson cuddle her when they needed to. This went on for two weeks. After two weeks of Eris's mouth being shut, her only leaving her hospital bed with the assistance of her cane for the bathroom or to shower, she only started to eat when one of the Apollo kids threatened to shove a feeding tube down her throat.

"Now Clarisse and Chris are dating, I think," Percy chatted away to Eris. He sat on the chair next to her and stroked her hand. "The Aphrodite girls say they're a good match so I guess that means they'll last. My...my birthday is next week...I'd really like it if you come y'know. It's not anything big but-"

"I-I think you should go."

Percy looked up to find Eris finally looking at him.

"Y-You're talking," Percy sputtered, "Okay, uh, how do you feel?"

"Fine," she said flatly. "I'm fine. And I think you should go."

Her voice was hoarse and choked up from not using it in days.

Percy blinked, "Eris, I'm not just gonna leave. You just—"

Eris sat up, "So you're not gonna leave?"

"No, I'm not—"

"Fine," Eris snapped. She tossed the bedding off her legs. Her left foot was bandaged from ankle to toe. Her hair was in a sloppy ponytail and there were bags under her eyes. "Then I'll leave."

"What? Eris—"

Eris shoved her legs over the bed and started to stand. As soon as her feet hit the ground it was long until she started to crumble. Percy snatched her up by her arms to steady her and used his strength to keep her upright. He held her together as she clutched her forearms.

Eris stared into his eyes and Percy felt like he was twelve again meeting twelve-year-old Eris again for the first time. She stared at him with big, frightfully, tear-filled eyes and Percy stared back.

Percy cleared his throat, "I-If you wanna go out I can get your cane and we can—"

"I don't want that damn cane!," Eris shouted, "I don't want any of this."

She tried to wrestle free from his grip but Percy refused to let go.

"Eris, just me help you!" He snapped.

"I don't want your help," she snarled, "I don't want anyone's help. I'm done! I've done nothing to help you so why do you want to help me!"

Percy growled, "What the hell are you talking about?!" He shouted, keeping a tight grip on her arms no matter how much she tried to push him away. "You've helped me a thousand times!"