Chapter 48

Pierre watched the melee on level five. It was a mess, and he knew that it was not moving as he'd hoped. The leadership that he held was now in tatters. Pierre wasn't a fool. He could see the writing on the wall and rather than being taken down by a gun-toting princess, Pierre decided to do something about it.

Picking up the phone, he pressed buttons until he realised that there was something wrong with the phone lines. They weren't down but he couldn't connect to anyone. Pierre wondered if his phone line had been tampered with at the exchange. That would certainly stop his overrides and disconnect him from the rest of the building.

Each turn that he took, Pierre found resistance or a blockage. He could see that Ana was a mighty foe, far more cunning and determined than her father. She'd suffered by his hand and was clearly out to ensure that he paid for the crime. It was something that Pierre was not prepared to do.

Frustrated, he searched for Theocris's phone. Thankfully he'd left it behind again.

As the phone rang through to the security desk on level five, Pierre glanced at the maid who was still sitting on the chair. Now that Ana knew of her true nature, the maid wouldn't survive. Pierre knew that leaving her here was not a good idea. Was that her future? Pierre didn't know what Ana would do and decided to give her a little benevolence. At least, she'd think it was. In reality, it was self-serving.

There was no answer on level five. Changing the view on the screens, Pierre searched for Ana and the soldiers. Anxiety filled him as he searched through all of the levels, finding no one. Not a living soul on any of the levels. Aside from level five, that is.

Dread filled him as he changed to the level he was on. Nineteen. He could see them sneaking along the corridors, drawing ever closer to this office. The two guards were still in the corridor, but Pierre knew that they would be no match for the Sovereignty Corps or an angry princess.

The time to move forward was now upon him. Turning off the screens, Pierre opened the door to the escape tunnel. When he found it, he wondered why the foolish king didn't use it. Pierre had sent a man down it to make sure it was still fully connected, which it was. It came out in a secret courtyard on level one. From there, the escapee would go out the gate and freedom was found in the dirty paths.

"Leearin, it's time to leave."

"What?" she said hesitantly.

Pierre gestured for her to come over. She did so, but frustratingly for Pierre. She walked like a timid mouse.

"Think realistically. You betrayed the princess, and she is fully aware of it. If she finds you, she will punish you. This is the king's escape tunnel. It leads directly to level one. Once you're down there, go through a gate and you'll be outside of the royal grounds. I've been told that it is a twisty drop but you will be safe. Go before Ana gets here."

Leearin warily nodded as she sat down on the edge of the tunnel.

"Are you coming as well?"

"Right behind you."

"But,"

With a huff, Pierre pushed Leearin into the tube. The scream echoed as Leearin plummeted in the escape tube.

"Honestly, it's like you don't want to survive."

Hearing noises, Pierre searched for his emergency bag. He tried not to be pessimistic, but Pierre was prepared for anything. In the cupboard was the duffel bag stuffed full of credits. Lifting the strap over his head, he ensured it was tight to his body and then opened the hidden door. He slipped in before he was found.

Quietly the door was closed, and with a smile, Pierre thought about Leearin screaming her way to level one. He'd left the tunnel door open to fool Ana into thinking that he'd taken the tunnel.

Climbing the stairs, Pierre took the secret route to the transport level.

It was several levels of stairs before he reached the door. Pierre opened it with caution, hoping that there weren't any of Ana's guards here as well.

There were a few of his men mulling around, more interested in whatever it was they were looking at with the binoculars. His eyes narrowed, wondering if it was a naked woman. They were certainly acting like a bunch of horny teen boys.

They weren't too concerned with what was going on below, more interested in arguing over the use of the binoculars. Pierre wondered if they knew that their demise was just a short walk away from them. Shaking his head derisively, Pierre quietly walked out of the staircase and closed the door.

Moving into the office, Pierre grabbed all of the keys for the vehicles. Taking them to the rails, he leaned over the edge and tossed all but one set. With dark amusement filling his face, Pierre watched the keys as they plummeted to the ground and ensured that no one could follow him.

Flicking the fob, Pierre found the hover jet and climbed on. The men that had been sniggering and talking amongst themselves now turned to see that their leader was leaving.

"Sir, do you require a security detail to accompany you?"

"No, I'll be fine. You stay there and do whatever it is that you were doing."

They were surprised that he wasn't yelling at them for not doing their job. It was a completely different situation, one that they were not accustomed to. They were worried because he was being far too nice.

The guards watched as their leader took off, plunging into the neon lit night sky. Curiosity filled them.

He didn't want an escort. He didn't have guards with him.

It left the men scratching their heads with confusion. It was odd behaviour for a man that was usually so predictable.