Chapter 11

Ana was worried that Marama would connect the pieces and tell the militia. There wasn't a reward, but she figured that Marama would get something for her efforts. Knowing the militia, a one-way trip to the dump.

Walking along the path to her unit complex, Ana noticed that there was a lot of activity near the doorway. It was a high traffic area, so it wasn't something that she was overly concerned about. Still, she didn't like drawing attention to herself, so Ana turned down the path that ran alongside the building and climbed the stairs until she reached her apartment level.

Mister Tinkles was not outside, and Ana didn't know what to make of it. Seven-thirty was usually when she emerged for a night of theft, and he would always be around to say hello.

Walking along the path, Ana looked up at the windows and eventually found him. He was walking back and forth along the window ledge, scratching at the window to get out. Ana believed that his owner must be out until she reached her apartment.

The frame of the window had scratch marks on it. Given the cat was inside, it was clear that someone had been here. No one liked an affectionate cat getting underfoot, and rather than having Mister Tinkles causing an issue, the owner clearly kept him inside.

A darker thought crossed Ana's mind as she thought about the cat. What if the owner thought the cat would be dealt with in a less than ideal way? A shiver shot up Ana's spine as she thought about it. There were a lot of heartless monsters in this world, and she was glad that the cat was kept inside.

Ana kept walking and pretended that her destination was further down the path. When she reached an elevator, Ana slipped in and pressed the button for fifteen.

Within seconds she was stepping out. Her feet hastened along the path, making the trek to Garlet's restaurant a short one.

Taking a turn, she walked down the loading dock and approached the man sitting on a trash can.

"I thought you weren't coming in tonight."

"Change of plans. The big man around?"

The guard flicked his head, telling Ana to go inside.

Keeping to the back of the room, Ana made her way to the double swing doors. It was not the entry to the restaurant but a private dining room that was only ever available to one man. If he chose to feed others in here, then that was their good fortune. Ana had been fed many times.

Garlet's eyes lifted. A grin crossed his face as he leaned back in his chair, scratching the thick brown beard.

He was not what the world saw as a typical gangster, but that's where everyone failed. They judged this book by its cover, and it did not match him one little bit. Garlet was powerful, connected and ruthless. He had a solid tenacity to own the underworld of Geniprea. Garlet Moss hid behind the facade of a wealthy businessman who found himself a niche market and made it work. It was true, he'd done just that, but it was nothing but a way to launder the credits.

"She's addicted."

"Not that. I've got a problem."

"I know. Squashed a few bits of chatter about you, redirected and misdirected. As the best person to get a fake id from, it was only natural that they looked at me for information. Lucky that I like you."

Ana sighed as she dumped herself into the chair, giving her friend a wry grin.

"What's with the bling?"

"You like?" Garlet said as he gestured to the gold earring. "Thought it would match the rest of the ensemble."

Ana's gaze lowered to the chunky silver rings that he always wore. They hid many of his tattoos, but there were enough on the man to make it seem inconsequential.

"Match? Are you serious?"

Garlet grinned.

"Or perhaps it was a memento."

"That sounds more like you. Who died?"

"No one important. Hungry?"

She shook her head, giving Garlet a vague shrug.

"I know, it's rough. When you came to me all those months ago, I said that no matter where you run, your past will always be behind you. It is a burden that you will never be free of, no matter where you live or what new name you adopt."

Garlet leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. The rings chinked as his fingers entwined. Garlet's thoughts about Ana's predicament began swirling. Tonight's events were an issue.

"It was a private detective that came in here about an hour ago."

Ana frowned and looked at her watch.

She tapped the panel. It was keeping time correctly.

"An hour ago?"

"Yes. Said that his client called him this morning and engaged his services to identify a human woman. You know what I'm going to say about that, right?"

"Why did he say human?"

"That would be it. I know about the vampire covens in the drains. You don't spend a life knocking over places without crossing their path once or twice. Anyway, it would seem that you've managed to find yourself quite a nasty one. This detective is, well, let's just say that we've known each other for a while, so he was rather free and easy with his information about the woman. I said that I had no idea who he was talking about. He wasn't here for long. Once he'd figured out that I had nothing to offer him, he said that he had to attend a meeting and left."

Garlet shrugged, pressing his lips tight with an uneasy look on his face.

"The window on my apartment had scratch marks on the metal."

"Well, it wasn't one of my people, and if it was him, then he's certainly been busy, but I doubt it. How much information do you think that this woman has about you?"

"My name, Ana, I think. I don't know what else she could have gotten from me unless she followed me home. It was late, though."

Garlet nodded, thinking about it for a moment.

"It's not common for vampires to venture to the higher levels. Five is usually the most that they will venture to. They see the distance between the level and their shelter as too great. It increases the risk of getting caught. Vampires are focused on hiding from humans. It's why they try not to rent an apartment outside of the drains."

"Then it wasn't the detective that tried to enter my apartment?"

"I doubt it. Did your alarm go off?"

Ana shook her head. She had the place wired with everything that she could find to ensure that she was safe and her home was protected.

"Then perhaps we have a lone thief running around my territory. I shall have someone look into it."

"Thanks," Ana murmured.

She stood to leave, stopping when Garlet called out to her. Ana turned back, seeing his concern.

"There are some in this world who are worse than the people that I deal with. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to, but this woman, she could be equally as evil. Be careful."

Ana nodded and pushed against the swing door. Marama equally as evil as the militia? It seemed impossible, but Ana thought that it could be true.