Chapter 4

Jiro chuckled, listening to Ana's tale about her antics and life as a thief. He couldn't believe that she'd agreed to stay after he suggested it, but here she was. She should be scared of his race, but she wasn't. Ana talked to him as if he was just another person. When she said she'd known a few vampires, he assumed that, like most humans, she meant at a distance.

There was also an element of fear that they would be exposed. He had to make sure that letting her walk out of this place would be alright for the community. Otherwise, he'd have to kill her, and Jiro didn't want to do that. It hadn't taken long, but already there was a friendship. It was odd, a strange connection that saw the two of them talking and enjoying each other's company.

"Enough about me. Tell me about the wildly adventurous Jiro Arcale."

Jiro grinned softly, huffing with mild amusement. He was born into his second life in this area, and though it seemed impossible to die, he believed that if it did happen, he'd still be here. The race of vampires had lived in the drains for a while now, hiding from humans so that they could rest without the worry that they'd be found. Jiro didn't know when or how they came to form a settlement here, but it's all that he's ever known. The only time he ventured beyond the drainage system was to feed. No one paid any attention to death on level one.

"Nothing special about me. Just an ordinary vampire moving from one day to the next."

"Have you been outside the city?"

"Nope. As high as level one, and that's it. We try not to draw attention to ourselves, so our leader asked that we feed on level one, level two if we're desperate."

"Wow. So, I guess that means you've never seen the sky."

"There are certain spots on level one where it's possible, but that's right at the edge of town, and no one wants to go there."

Ana nodded sadly. There once was a time when Geniprea wasn't so bad. It wasn't great, and it was still riddled with crime and violence, but those issues were standard across the world. Everything changed when a militia group carried out a coup and killed the royal family. Pierre Normace had been in power for several years, and it has only gotten worse.

"So," Jiro said, quickly changing the subject now that the mood had taken a nosedive. "What are you going to do with your ill-gotten gains?"

Ana's eyes lifted swiftly, meeting the deep green eyes that stared back at her. Jiro had a teasing, playful smile on his face. Ana shrugged and offered a lopsided smirk.

"You'd be surprised and probably wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Well, only one way to find out."

"I split it. Technically fifty-fifty. The information of the place to hit comes from a source. I pay fifty per cent to him and keep fifty per cent for myself, which I then donate half to whatever poor box or beggar I pass on my way home. Sometimes I take different paths to find alternate sources for the donations."

"Does it ease the soul?"

"Not really. I do this because I can't work, so there's not much else available for me. I don't see the donations as a form of repentance if you're wondering. I just do it because they're going without, and I have the means to help in my hands."

Jiro grew quiet and incredibly curious. He knew that there was something that Ana wasn't telling him, and if there was a time when she would tell him, it would be a long way off. They were still strangers to each other, even if they were sitting in a pool hall drinking beer.

"Do you always hang out with random strangers like this?"

"No, but to be fair, humans usually don't fall into our part of the world. I've never had a conversation with a human before. Usually, it's just grab, chomp, dead and over the rails."

"So charming."

Jiro chuckled with a nod, taking the last swig of his beer. He eyed off the vending machine on the other side of the room, contemplating another round. It was getting close to dawn, and he figured that Ana was a night owl like the rest of this place. That aside, the main doors would be shutting soon, so she either had to go now or find a place to bunk down for the night. He'd offer, but Jiro knew that it wasn't wise.

He didn't know how to suggest or ask. Jiro didn't want to make it seem like he was kicking Ana out. After all, he enjoyed himself, and a part of him didn't want this to end. Like the world threw him a lifeline, an alarm started beeping on Ana's arm.

She flicked open the panel and turned it off.

"Well, that's me. It is four am, I'm drunk off my ass, and it's time to crawl into bed."

"I'll have to show you the way to the gate. No drains for you this morning."

"Ha-ha."

Dumping their paper cups into the trash, the pair exited the pool hall and made their way through the drainage system.

"How many levels do you have here?"

"In this section, there are five, but there are quite a few areas that we've taken over."

"What about when the government comes here to fix the pipes?"

Jiro shrugged.

"They fix them and then leave. I think that they believe it's just another part of the city that's struggling to find accommodation for everyone."

"Well, that's certainly plausible. If people are crazy enough to live on level one, then it's not surprising that the workers would think that setting up home in the drains is an option."

"Definitely better than level one. Two and three are just as bad."

Jiro nodded at the gatekeeper as they passed. He would lock the gates at five am, and if Jiro or another vampire was on the other side, they'd be out of luck.

"You know, I'm thinking five would be a good idea."

Ana shot him a glare, a little cheeky as she challenged his thoughts.

"It's not being sexist. I know how hard you can punch and kick. See? Still got the bruises."

He lifted the material, showing off the mark. There was a definite imprint of her buckles against the pale skin.

"That's pretty brutal. Sorry about that."

"It's alright. I should have said something first. I can see how you'd think I was a creeper or something."

When they reached five, Ana stopped.

"I know where I am now, and this is a safe area. Thanks for keeping me company."

She turned and looked at the wonder on Jiro's face as he gazed at the buildings and the lights. She remembered that he said he'd been as high as level one. He'd mentioned levels two and three were just as bad, but how far had he ventured on level one? Did he fear the higher levels, or did he prefer to hunt on level one?

Ana could see the wonderment on his face. Clearly, Jiro hadn't seen much of the sky, which was a shame. She thought it was always a breathtaking view at night. The higher the level, the brighter it got. It was then that she was struck with a brilliant thought.

"You know, I sometimes go to this place. It's quiet, and it has an amazing view of the city. There's even a spot where you can see the beyond."

Jiro's eyes darted to Ana's. There was hidden excitement.

"Tonight, meet me here?"

Jiro nodded.

"Seven pm."

Ana smiled as she began to back away. "I'll see you then."