Chapter 2

The rogue threw out the line, watching as it wrapped around a pipe. As the line became taut, she winced and waited to either hit the ground that was rapidly approaching or bounce from wall to wall until the momentum slowed.

With a snap that echoed, she warily opened an eye. Slowly swinging in the air, a few meters from the path. Sighing heavily, she released the hooks and dropped to the path below. As she clipped it back into her belt, the rogue looked around at the area that, until now, she had no idea existed. It was still Geniprea, still blatantly obvious in its love of neon, but it was far more subdued. Darker than the other levels, she wondered if the sun ever reached this part of the city.

As she walked down the path, the rogue marvelled at the untapped goldmine that was this hidden part of her city. There were a lot of places that could offer so much and gave her so many possibilities. It was perfect for a thief like her. No one that she knew of had talked about this place. It was a hidden city.

She wondered where precisely this sat in the levels. It appeared to be a part of the drainage system, which meant it was below level one. The thought of being in the sub-levels sent a shiver up her spine, but the rogue could feel that this place was a little different. There was something odd about it, something she couldn't figure out.

Reaching the t section, the rogue looked to the end of the short alley and saw the light. It lit up the entry to the area, but that was the limit. A few steps more, and she would be engulfed. Venturing into the temporary darkness, she walked to the half wall and peered over. It was unrelenting darkness that consumed her view. A large tractor with headlights lit up the darkness. It was the wasteland.

Turning the garbage over sent a horrid stench into the air. Curling her nose up at it, the rogue stepped back.

The wasteland was the area underneath the sub levels. It was where the trash ended up, where the feral animals roamed, and only a few brave souls dealt with the garbage. The leader was not interested in what went down to the wasteland. It's why the rogue knew that the gangs that run amok in this city threw their dead down there.

It did not interest the rogue. There was no value in chasing anything in the wasteland. Not when there was a significant risk to her life as well. If it wasn't the rabid animals, it was the risk of infection. One open wound could cause a lot of issues.

Turning back, she continued along the path and looked at the places that she could break into. There wasn't obvious wealth like in the upper levels, but there was a hint of something bigger and brighter than any of the lower levels. This was an oddly placed middle class, in her opinion.

There was also a distinct lack of people around. Sure, there were a few, but everywhere she looked, it was just that. A few. It was the strangest thing she'd seen, and Geniprea was a strange city. Even on level five, which was the last of the safe levels, there were many people.

Her eyes narrowed, wondering what this place was.

Still, there was an opportunity to be had, and the rogue liked that there would be fewer witnesses. Breaking into places was always a struggle, especially when trying to avoid people seeing what she was doing. The entire operation had to be done quickly, or she'd have the cops chasing her over several levels like tonight. It wasn't the first time, and the rogue knew that it would not be the last.

Moving to the edge of a building, the rogue ran her gloved hand over the glass window. The pane shimmered as the light and dark reflected and altered. Beyond it, she could see a standard single-person apartment, almost similar to the one that she lived in.

Small but well equipped. The common wall was cupboards from one end to the other. A lounge sat near it and could be moved to access the safe that would be hidden behind the door. Underneath the mask, the rogue bit her lip as the desirous thoughts began to form. In that safe would be a lot of credits, something that she craved. All she had to do was get in there. Cracking the safe would be easy. She didn't need to know the code. All she would do is use one of her lovely little blast caps, and it would pop open.

No one trusted the banking system anymore. It had once been reliable. Now it was run by a bunch of crooks who were bigger thieves than she was. That's why everyone invested in a safe. It was the only way they had a chance at keeping their credits.

"Unless I'm around," she whispered.

Her fingers traced over the cutter that was tucked into the belt. It had several settings, including glass and metal. She didn't want the entire glass panel to come loose but sometimes cutting a hole was not an option.

Not far away, a figure watched the shadowy one that looked in a window he knew did not belong to her. He waited for a moment, curious about the figure and what they were doing. Anxiety ran through him as his fingers scratched through the rough beard. A new person in their world. The unknown figure was dangerous and could cause issues for their hidden society.

Glancing around, he waited until they were alone before approaching the masked thief. He knew that's what the figure was.

Crossing the intersection catwalk, he cautiously approached the unknown person. A fetid stench rose up from the wasteland, assailing his senses. He hated it when the waste was left to rot. Instead of cleaning it up every day, they left it for weeks which made the vile smell grow.

As the heavy footsteps approached, the rogue turned. Her eyes widened at the sight of the man. Not a cop but also not welcomed. She didn't know what to make of him. Was he a detective out of uniform, or was he a pervert looking for a thrill?

Neither was what she wanted. So, the fists went up.

The rogue landed the first strike. It sent the man backwards. Shock resonated on his face, and it called the rogue back to the time when she began her training. She'd been trained by the best in this land. It was one moment when she was underestimated, and it sent her trainer back a few steps as he reeled from the heavy fisted punch.

The rogue kept moving against the figure, ensuring she kept the upper hand against him. He blocked her strike, but the rogue pulled back before he could drag her in. A roundhouse kick landed hard against his ribs which knocked him back a fraction. It didn't stop him. Grabbing her leg, he held it tight and turned her. With a thud, he had the rogue pinned to the wall and let her leg go. She gasped, his heavy hand on her throat and his knee pinning her at the groin.

He looked down at the gold eyes that glowed with desperation. It was true to say that he'd never seen anyone with glowing gold eyes before.