Chapter 39

Running her hand along the front of the outfit, Ana found the hidden panel.

There was a reason she asked to freshen up in her chambers. Explaining it was not what Ana expected, though she should have. Leearin was probably told that Ana had to stay in the guest room. Asking something else of her must have thrown her mind into chaos.

Ana wanted to ensure that Leearin put her in her bedroom, not the room that she'd woken in. It was the room that had all of her things. Thankfully, it had not been touched, unlike a lot of other things in this place.

Pierre didn't realise the mistakes he made but then, she didn't expect him to. Ana was just grateful he didn't get rid of her clothes. Otherwise, she would be in a much different situation.

Ana turned to check the outdoor area, ensuring that she was alone. A slow sigh escaped as she returned to the view of the city and the depths of the building she was in.

The outdoor area sat at level twenty, and there were no gantries or catwalks. They were a risk to the royal family so there was an exclusion zone around the entire building. That meant that it was a straight drop down to level one.

If the drop wasn't enough to terrify her, then the amount of security at level one would. Because it was a dangerous place, the base of the building was like a fortress and surrounded by a lot of guards and guns.

Ana had only one option with the suit, but it had a secret hidden in the front panel that offered her another. The outfit was a custom made flight suit that she could wear without rousing Pierre's suspicions. It was made to look like an ordinary outfit which Ana thought was one of its wonderful features.

Another was that it had wings sewn into the back panel. All she had to do was slip her wrists into the cuffs, and they'd open up. The problem was that they could not withstand a drop of twenty levels.

That's where the other hidden secret came in handy. It was a GAR line that she'd stashed away in the days when she was arguing with her father about getting married. Back then, Ana intended to use it to escape this place and run away.

Ana's plan was to use the line to drop as far as it would reach, which she estimated was five levels. She would have to free fall from there, reaching level ten before she opened the wings. From that point, she would swoop down to her preselected landing point. Ana hoped that the wind would be kind to her.

She'd tested both the wings and the line to ensure that they would work. Taking a deep breath, Ana checked the area once more and opened the GAR line. With it connected to the front panel, she gave it a hard yank to ensure that it was not going to let go then began lowering over the edge.

"It's okay. You can do this. You do this all the time. We'll just forget that there are no paths to land on."

Slowly she began to loosen the line. The wire began to unravel as she descended down the building that had once been her home.

Looking down was not always wise, more so when shadows shifted in the light that came from the room below. Ana had to change positions or she risked getting caught. The breaks went on, and the line was caught.

"Damn it."

Ana gently tugged on the line, hoping to free the breaks. It unravelled quickly, and Ana shrieked, descending with speed. The breaks on the line snapped back in and she was left bobbing against the glass.

On the other side was a startling revelation, one that Ana knew that she was meant to see. Destiny wanted her to know the kind of betrayal she faced.

Naked, sprawled out on Pierre's desk with the man of the hour going to town between her legs was the woman that was supposedly her trusted lady-in-waiting.

Ana stared in shock. Disbelief that this was actually happening made Ana question if she was seeing this or making it up in her grief-filled mind.

Blinking, Ana frowned. She was a fool if she thought that this wasn't real.

Ana began to think about it, coming to the conclusion that this was probably a part of their daily routine. Leearin had stated that Pierre was young and handsome. She said things that Ana had overlooked at the time but now made her question how much time these two spent together. After all, Leearin knew how Pierre would react if he found out about Keoni. Ana asked Desmi, and he said that he didn't know what the leader would say but assumed that it would be permitted so long as the first child and the heir was his.

The two opinions were stark in their contrast. To be fair, Desmi looked at the situation from an advisory role. It didn't make it any better, in Ana's opinion.

The sound of her bobbing against the window alerted Pierre to the fact that his prized princess was escaping. He looked up with his own shock.

"Well, I'd like to say that I am surprised, but he did warn me that if I took too long, he'd have other women in his bed. Technically not his bed but I think this can still stand."

When he stopped moving, Leearin turned her head to see what Pierre was looking at. She sat up with fright, clambering for her clothes. Ana was momentarily amused when Leearin fell off the desk.

Pierre hadn't moved, still staring at Ana. It was like he'd lost all sensibility and couldn't figure out how or why she was on the outside of the building. Ana looked down at the pantless figure. She wasn't the kind of girl to body shame, and he appeared to be well developed, but she didn't like the guy so Ana believed this was fair game. With a raised eyebrow, she looked up and smirked.

It took a few seconds for Pierre to register what was going on, but the anger kicked in. Ana was extremely pleased to see that Pierre was not happy.

Smiling sweetly, Ana lifted her hand and raised her middle finger at Pierre. She smooched at him in the air, showing off her defiance. He would not win this battle. Not when the princess was trouble to begin with.

Done with taunting Pierre, Ana released the GAR line and free fell into the darkness.