Chapter 27

Ana wriggled in the clothes, frowning as she tried to make them sit correctly. They were tighter than they should be, which Ana found frustrating.

"Everything okay?"

Her eyes lifted to Garlet, who was standing at the door talking to one of his guards.

"Yeah, it's fine. Take a week or so off, and everything turns into a dumpster fire."

"That happens when you spend the time eating ice cream. You'll be running around this wonderful city soon enough, so don't worry about it. As for right now, it's time to have a decent meal. Inside you go."

Ana walked through the kitchen, noticing how bustling the room was tonight. She'd never seen so many cooks working.

"Business picking up?"

"Warmer weather tends to make people more open to venturing out of their homes for dinner in a restaurant. It is a little better than this time last year but reasonably close to what I would consider normal."

Ana nodded quietly as she watched the waiters pick up the orders and take them out to the dining room. Garlet was smart about the set up which Ana found impressive. Each cook had their own prep station with several chambers at the station. They would be responsible for creating the entire order and ensuring that the meals went out together, which was not always easy. Certain meals took longer in the chamber, so it was necessary to plan which ones went in before others.

The constant pinging of the chambers was a little annoying. She was grateful that the sound was dulled in the next room.

Garlet entered after her as well as a waiter who had two plates. The table had been cleared of Garlet's things, now resembling an actual dining table rather than a desk. Cutlery was laid out before her, and water was added to the glass.

"Would you like something else to drink?"

"No, water is fine, thank you."

Garlet waited for the young man to leave before starting the conversation. He picked up the cutlery, momentarily looking at Ana.

"Would you like the complete update rather than the information that I've drip-fed you over the past two weeks?"

"It's been two weeks?"

He could see the shock registering on her face as she lifted her eyes to him.

"It has. Surprising, I know, but the clocks tick onward and wait for no one regardless of the wallow they find themselves in. Now, the update. We can start with the vampire leader, Bran. He's not a bad vampire, just one that likes to ensure that his leadership is not questioned or on unstable ground. There was no issue regarding Keoni. Bran only wanted to speak with him regarding what was going on with that horrible woman. The problem was that Keoni thought they wanted him dead, so he resisted when Bran's goons turned up. Naturally, they had to make him leave without drawing too much attention, so they sedated him. It was unfortunate but it is the best way to deal with a disruptive person. I've warned him to stay away from you and Keoni and that includes his goons as well. Keoni was allowed to collect any personal possessions, but essentially, he was kicked out of the clan."

"Oh," Ana said sadly.

"But it was not as bad as it seems. Being a vampire does not mean that they have to be a part of a clan. It's just better for them if they are. He could have applied to enter another coven. There are dozens of them in this quarter alone. Keoni chose not to because after having his memory returned, he remembered that the army group that he was a member of did not associate with clans. It was seen as a conflict of interest, and your father suggested that the SC's were a clan of their own. A clan that now has a member of one."

Ana pursed her lips with a grim look.

"But he had no interest in it anyway. Knowing that things weren't as bad as any of us initially thought, I helped when he asked. He has an above-ground apartment and is working here in the kitchen. That is when he's not stalking the local princess."

She thought stalking was a little harsh. He was worried for her. He wanted to tell her the truth now that he knew it. Ana gave Garlet a soft smile knowing that he was only joking.

"Now, onto that other bit of nastiness. The vampire that started this nonsense. Marama, is that her name?"

Ana nodded quietly as she ate her dinner. It was delicious, and she was hungry. It was some kind of pasta with herbs and bits of meat. She had no idea and didn't care. It was hot, and it was good. It also made her wonder why she'd lived on a diet of junk food.

"Well, the information actually made it to the hands of a reporter. Keoni was angry because he said he'd delivered it to you and that this woman must have made a copy of it. The reporter has been snooping around like the detective. I denied all knowledge then suggested that someone was playing a prank on him. I got the feeling that he didn't believe me but pretended for the sake of the conversation. The problem that we all face in this is that Marama is missing. It has worsened the situation because the reporter thinks her disappearance is connected. He will eventually find you and connect the pieces when that happens. It's been a few years, but you haven't changed a whole lot. There is a definite alteration in the slender shape of your face and the fact that your hair is now dark pink."

Garlet smiled wistfully.

"You look like your mother. Everyone adored the queen and considered her to be the jewel of Geniprea. A beauty like no other. Wait till the citizens find out that you survived."

"Yeah," Ana said softly. "They'll be so happy, and I'll be so dead."