Chapter 26

Ana woke late in the afternoon, feeling like half the city had walked all over her. After years of running around this city and eating reasonably healthy, her new regime of sprawling out on the lounge and eating junk food while watching movies was not working for her.

With the shutters down, Ana had no idea of day or night, and the only indication she had was when the nightly news came on, interrupting her movie. The weight of sedentary days made Ana morose and sluggish. It affected her sleeping pattern, and her hunger was waning. Her interest in anything was gone. What had once amused her was now dull and not worth getting off the lounge for.

Sighing heavily, she sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed. Hearing a yawn, Ana looked at the end of the bed where Mister Tinkles was getting up. He lowered his front half to stretch while pushing his hind up into the air. Then he proceeded to saunter over as if he owned the place.

Ana scratched the cat, noticing that something was stuck under his collar. It was a piece of paper. She pulled it out and saw her name on it.

Has she been found? Was it attached to the cat, and he was left to roam as he pleased? Ana didn't think that was a good idea. If the cat moved the wrong way, the note could have fallen out. Fear gripped her as she concluded that whoever wrote the note had probably pushed the cat through the door. That meant that they knew she was in here.

Her heart sank with fear as she opened it.

Ana,

I've taken the tablet. I know the truth, and it is not what you think. I was truthful with your father and planned everything with him. I'd like to explain it more in person.

Keoni.

It was short and to the point. Ana thought that Keoni might have done this at the last minute after seeing the cat.

The contents of the note were interesting. He knew the truth, and it was not what Ana thought. He was truthful. Her father knew everything. Ana didn't know how or why her father would plan something like his reaction to the coup. Why didn't they leave sooner if they knew?

Ana had a lot of questions, and there was only one person that could answer them. Well, a vampire, that is.

"Did he come here? Did you betray me, fleabag? How many treats did he bribe you with?"

The cat purred as he walked back and forth, demanding more attention from Ana.

"Bah, your grovelling apology always works."

Giving the cat a cuddle, Ana put him back on the bed.

"Your mother will be worried sick about you, Tinks."

Leaning back, she opened the cat flap. The cat got the hint and wandered out.

When he was gone, and she was alone, Ana looked at the note. There was already a thought in her mind that something wasn't right with the situation but hearing that Keoni had been paid to destroy her family and her world wasn't easy. Ana could admit that she was wrong to walk away without searching for answers, but she needed a moment to calm down.

Or several. It had been days since that night, but Ana didn't know how many exactly. Knowing that it was the right thing to do, Ana decided that she would venture out of the apartment and find Keoni.

The problem was that she figured that things would be tense between him and Bran, the vampire leader. Maybe Keoni had been kicked out of the clan and the drainage system that he called home. If that were the case, then where was Keoni now? Ana hoped that Bran hadn't been horrible to Keoni.

Ana knew that Garlet had been keeping Keoni up to date with some of the information. It was just enough to let him know that Ana was okay. Ana figured that Garlet was probably sick of being the meat in the sandwich and would welcome an end to this nonsense. But at the very least, Garlet would know where Keoni was.

Picking up her phone, Ana called Garlet.

"Ana, my dear, how are you this fine evening?"

"Better. Keoni left me a note."

"I heard. The poor dear is feeling rather dejected because you didn't respond. I told him to be mindful of the hour of the day. It's his own choice to risk his life by being out in the sun. He's lucky that the umbrella worked, and it was at dusk. Otherwise, he might have been a fried vampire."

Hearing that Garlet was aware of the note was a good sign. Ana hoped that he was there. It would make life easier, which was ideal for Ana, considering she still felt lethargic.

"Is he around?"

"Not at the moment, but I'm sure he'll turn up eventually. Are you coming for a visit?"

"I guess."

"Good. I'll have dinner prepared and waiting for you. Don't take too long, or it will go cold."

The line went dead, and Ana rolled her eyes.

"I guess doesn't mean I will, Garlet," she muttered.

Ana knew that this was for the best. Get out and interact with someone rather than hiding in a dark apartment with a cat and crusty old movies for company. Garlet was a good person to start with. He'd offer a conversation over dinner, discussing things and briefly covering the sore points. He wouldn't dwell or try to sort it out. Garlet would give his thoughts and advice before taking a step back. It's why Ana liked him as she did.

Dressing casually, Ana carefully eased the shutters open and slipped out. With a press of a button on the watch, they slid down again. Taking a deep breath, Ana exhaled slowly, searching for her calm place. She needed it. Returning to the past was not easy.