Chapter 37

Ana placed a small coin on the headstone of Romalethi as she whispered her goodbye. She lamented that none of this was fair. Romalethi was so young, he'd barely started his life. The memories of him running around the playroom with a huge smile on his face filled Ana's mind, making the pain worse.

She'd never see him again. They were all gone, and it was because of one man's need to rule this city. Ana's disdain for Pierre had always been extremely high but it was growing by the second. Seeing the graves of her family made it so much worse.

Coins had not been in circulation for a long time. They held no value but were purely symbolic. It was believed that the coin would be valuable to the ferryman. Her family had received the burial rites, but there were no coins. She hoped that if any of it were true, they would now be able to cross over.

The only thing that would move the coin was the weather. No one dared to touch a coin once placed on a grave. The fear of being cursed by the dead was always too much.

Stepping back, Ana waited for the pain to pass, but it wouldn't. It also didn't help that Pierre was a step behind her. Leearin held back with Pierre's advisor. They got the message.

"Do you enjoy rubbing salt in the wound?"

"I'd hope to be of comfort."

Ana turned with a mighty glare.

"You? The man that murdered my family. You are a fool if you think that you will be of any comfort to me. You state that you want things and that you intend on getting them, yet you stand there, angering me even further. Grow a brain and stand with your advisor. At least he has the sense to be far enough away that I cannot punch him."

"Oh, Anarameha. You will learn to mind your tongue."

"You granted me a day when a month is the tradition. In lieu of those lost days, perhaps you could leave me alone for the next twenty-four hours, hmm?"

Ana looked up at Pierre defiantly, standing her ground with the demand. Pierre's amusement in her bravery hadn't died down. As much as taunting her would be fun, he knew better. Perhaps Theocris was right when he suggested that playing nice would be ideal.

"So be it. If you wish to delay the negotiations by a day, then that is your call. The longer you take, the more impatient I grow. Leave it too long and you won't be the only woman in my bed."

Ana snorted a laugh, rolling her eyes.

"If I leave it even longer, perhaps I won't be in it at all."

"You laugh and mock the idea of it but understand that if you're not in my bed, then you are in a grave beside your family. Your choice, princess."

Turning on his heels, Pierre stalked off with Theocris scurrying behind him.

Hearing voices, Ana wiped the tears and turned to see that her father's advisor was standing next to Leearin. Painfully she smiled, approaching Desmi.

The short and stubby figure bowed. His eyes lifted to the princess, giving her a smile that was filled with grief. He was beyond happy that she'd survived but incredibly sad that she was now trapped with a monster that was going to make her life miserable once again.

"My lady. It warms my heart to see you alive. My condolences for your loss."

"Thank you, Desmi, but we have all lost in this situation."

He nodded grimly. Ana turned to Leearin.

"Would you mind preparing my chambers? I'd like to freshen up before dinner."

"The room is ready, my lady."

"No, Leearin, my old room. If I am to stay here as Pierre has demanded, then I want to be in my room. It would be of great comfort to me, and I'd like to be with my memories."

Leearin stared for a moment and then nodded.

"Of course, my lady."

With a curtsey, she turned and rushed back into the residence.

Ana slid her hand into the curve as Desmi offered his elbow. One long walk with a close friend of her father's.

"A fool that is easily led," Desmi whispered. "Well done."

"Thanks, but I do really want to be in my room. You know that they put me in one of the guest rooms."

"Yes, I'd heard the maids discussing it. I don't know the reasoning behind it. After all, your room is just as secure as the rest of this place. It would make more sense to be returned to your childhood bedroom. If anything, I would have thought that he would believe that he'd be seen in a better light for being so accommodating towards you. Honestly, there are times when I cannot understand why he does anything. He boggles my mind, my lady."

Ana giggled.

"But still, kudos to you for getting what you want. There will be many battles in your future, and if you can build your confidence by winning the smaller ones, then I say well done."

Ana nodded. It wasn't the bedroom that she wanted but the things inside it. Her past, her memories, the things that she'd been given over the years. They were the last of the memories that she had, and Ana wanted to return to them.

At least, that was the lie that she told herself.

"And what does the monster have you doing now that he thinks that he's the leader?"

"Servant. It would seem that years of service in my previous role was not enough. Or perhaps that I am not trustworthy. In all honesty, I am grateful for the downgrade of duties. I've heard more than I care to, and I do not envy Theocris at all."

"So, the title of monster is fitting?"

"It is, and it is a vulgar turn in the conversation, my lady but may I suggest that you fight him off for as long as you can? The moment you confirm a pregnancy is the moment that the clock on your life starts ticking."

"Trust me, I am fully aware that I am a vessel and nothing more."

The problem, in Ana's opinion, was that there was only so much resistance she could give before he took the control out of her hands. She didn't welcome violence in any form, but that most of all. If it meant that she could avoid such a situation arising, then Ana would have to submit to him.