Chapter 7

Jiro was stunned into silence as he stepped out onto the catwalk. Gripping the rail, he looked out at the sea of lights. They were already bright, but they reflected off the glass of the surrounding buildings, which added to the intensity. Jiro had never seen so many different colours in one area before. Life in the drainage system was rather dull, even if there were neon lights there as well. By comparison, this was off the charts.

Feeling something tug at his jacket's sleeve, Jiro turned to see Ana. She had a soft smile on her face as she nodded her head to the path behind her.

The path was wide enough for the two to walk side by side, only slipping back behind the other when another person approached to pass them.

"This is usually more occupied during the day. I think the view is better at night."

They stopped, and instead of looking out at the vast city, Ana stood on the other side of the path.

"The train usually leaves at seven-thirty, and this is the only place on this path where you will see it."

Ana put the basket down and leaned on the rail. She used to be scared that they'd break and she'd fall, but after several years of climbing all over them and scaling down from them, Ana knew that they were strong.

"You know, I've tried to remember everything that you told me last night, and all that I recall is your tales of adventure. I get the feeling that you're closed off for a reason, but I'd like to know more."

"There's not a lot to tell."

"Family?"

Ana shook her head. She didn't want to think about them.

"Sorry. One of many wounds?"

"Something like that. My life is pretty dull, Jiro. I don't know what you're expecting."

"I don't either. Just stuff, I guess. How about your childhood?"

"It was okay. I grew up in a big apartment with my parents and siblings."

The statement was brief, and Jiro figured that something must have happened for Ana to go from a big apartment with her family to what she was in now. She'd mentioned it last night, saying that the apartment she'd been looking in when they met was quite similar to the one she lived in. Jiro understood that meant that it was small.

He wasn't going to push or ask about her family. Jiro would just assume that they had a falling out over something, and Ana left. Maybe she regretted it. Perhaps she had no choice.

The sound of an engine building speed echoed, and Jiro turned to see the warm yellow lights of the train. They washed over the track that stood high over the ground. The light spilt over the sides, revealing the rough terrain below. He'd never seen anything but concrete, glass and metal. To finally see the land in its natural form was amazing.

The carriages were lit up too. Jiro could see humans as they sat and looked out the windows or ate the meals that were being delivered to them. It reminded him that Ana had brought food and drink for them.

"Come on, let's find somewhere to eat."

Ana picked up the basket, amused at his enthusiasm.

"There's a spot not far from here. It's a rooftop garden of a club that recently closed. We'll have a bit of a precarious climb over a thin gantry, but it's worth it. You'll understand when you see it."

"I'll take your word for it."

After the elevator, Jiro thought that a gantry was nothing.

The path to the rooftop garden was a long one, curving around buildings and showing the pair many breathtaking views. For Ana, it was nothing new, but for Jiro, it was mind-blowing.

"This is it. One support beam that passes over the roof. Walk across and jump down. We'll have the views without the company."

"We will?"

"Yep. There's seating behind that curved block."

Jiro looked at the wall and assumed that it was high enough to hide them. It was clearly deceptive, which made sense when he looked at the palm trees that lined the sides of the area. They were all the same height, but the ones where he could see the bases showed how tall they really were.

"Okay, let's do this."

Ana grinned, her teeth biting her bottom lip.

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"Did you want to do it on your own or hold my hand?"

Jiro felt his heart stutter, fobbing it off with a casual shrug.

"Yeah, if it helps, then that's okay, I guess."

Ana chuckled softly and climbed over the rail. She hooked her GAR line on the rail and then wrapped it around the basket handle so she could hold both of them at the same time.

"Will it be long enough?"

"Yep. If you fall, grab me but try not to fall, okay?"

Jiro nodded and climbed over the rail. His legs were like jelly as he took Ana's hand.

"It's not a long walk when you think about it. Just a few steps, and we're there. The people that ran the club never knew it, but it was how I used to sneak into the place for free. No entry fee for me."

"Is that why they're not here anymore?"

"Oh, ha-ha. As if one person skipping out on the ridiculous entry fee was going to make a difference. Besides, they moved to a bigger place."

Ana turned with a smug smile.

"We're here."

Jiro looked down, seeing the rooftop garden below them. A swift snaking sound echoed, and his eyes darted up to Ana. She had that secretive smile on her face again, and as her hand raised, he watched the safety line snap back into its case. Ana tucked it into her belt and then sat down on the gantry. With a swing from her hands, she jumped down to the floor.

Taking a deep breath, Jiro slowly sank down to the cold metal and gripped the other side. His arms stretched out, painfully reminding him of how tense he was. Letting go was not easy, but he did it, and when he reached the floor without incident, Jiro felt a sense of accomplishment. He didn't know why but he did.

His gaze turned to the city that was still so stunning. He could not get enough of it and wondered if there would ever be a night where he wouldn't come out of the drains to look at it. As his eyes swept around the garden that was starting to become overgrown, Jiro looked at the tables and chairs that had been stacked to one side. Aside from one table and two chairs, that is. His eyes stopped at the woman that brought him to this new world. She showed him a different side of this life and revealed a new vampire hidden within him. He'd done things that he'd never considered doing, and it was all because of her.