Chapter 33

Keoni was quietly stunned at how fast Bran could get the vampire leaders to convene in one place. But that's exactly what happened. He was now seated at a large table in front of a lot of seats. This was in an area of Geniprea that was rather close to the centre. Above them were many buildings, but in this particular location, it was the royal residence.

"How is it that you have a meeting room under the royal residence?"

"Technically, we are just off to the side with a doorway that leads to level one of the royal residence. The door has been locked for many years, and we cannot access it from this point. If you're wondering, Normace was the one that locked it. This area was created before the SC's became a thing. The king in power would need to talk to the vampire leaders and sometimes that would be during daylight hours. Knowing that it would be impossible to call upon the leaders at such a time, they created a meeting room for all to meet in. The last king often called upon us in friendlier hours."

"He was pro vampire."

"Yes, he was. It was a shame that the legacy that he began so long ago shall never be known. But still, he maintained the vision of his forefathers, and for that, we are grateful. Because of those kings, we have the tunnel system. There are a lot of ways to get around this city without seeing the sun. Sometimes it is a long path but we accept it because it means that we are not as trapped as what we seem. They are not for public use, Keoni. These are for the coven leaders and for emergencies."

The last of the leaders entered the great hall. Keoni estimated that there were probably around a hundred vampires in the room.

A part of Keoni had always wondered why the king was so open to the marriage between him and Ana. As he looked around at the room and the path that they'd taken to this place, Keoni understood that the royal family has always been pro vampire. Marrying his daughter to a vampire was just another step in the path.

Keoni also knew that it was about the future for the vampires. There would come a time when they could not hide in the shadows. They would not be able to hide in the drains for much longer either. Keoni and the king had spoken about it at great length. There was a time when vampires did not live in the drains. The rise in the population and how observant they were was the beginning. Keoni believed that the king wanted to bring the race out from the shadows. He could show the city how safe they were by revealing that Ana was married to one.

It was a plan that was brilliant and perhaps, flawed. Keoni was still filled with anxiety about exposing the vampire race.

Keoni's mind returned to the moment as the doors closed behind him and Bran stood.

"Thank you all for coming at such short notice. I know that the hour is late and to call an urgent meeting is difficult for all, but we are faced with a dangerous situation. If you will grant me a moment, I will offer a little history so that you all can truly understand what we are faced with. A few years back, if you recall, the militia and their leader murdered the royal family and Pierre Normace took over as leader of our city."

Murmurs broke out. Keoni could tell that not many were happy about what Bran was saying.

"What only a few know is that one of the members of the royal family survived. Princess Anarameha was placed into an escape tunnel by a member of the Sovereignty Corps. She hid with a false identity provided to her by Garlet Moss. In recent events, the princess has been identified. She has been abducted by Normace after being sold out by Moss. I believe that they are linked, and that one is paying off the other. Normace intends to marry the princess to legitimise his rule over Geniprea. It will only be a matter of time before she is declared unfit to rule or a child is created to take over her leadership. No matter the path he takes, Normace will have a stronger rule over this city."

"He will create a child." one vampire called out. "You know that this is the wisest path. He can have a guardianship until the child is of age. In those years, he will manipulate the child and still control the poor thing into their adult years."

"You are right. However, remember that it is not a permanent leadership for Normace regardless of how he raises the child. It is possible that he will slip in a law that says that he can rule as a king if the princess is declared unfit to be our leader. He needs to be stopped. Unfortunately, if we move against Normace, Moss will take notice. He will fortify and he will come after us. It will be a war that we cannot win without a lot of casualties."

"Then what do you suggest? If we take down Moss and are somehow successful, Normace will get wind of it and figure it out."

One woman stood, a willowy figure that appeared quiet and shy. She was the opposite but preferred to deceive with a false appearance. It was always easier to lure in a victim if she pretended to be a diminutive woman.

"We are all affected by these men and their demands over our beloved city. Our life with the royal family was prosperous, and I for one, want that life back. We owe it to our families, clans, and people to rise to this challenge. Take stock of your members, note their strengths and weaknesses. Together, we can take down both menaces. We can form two groups of those who are ideal for each situation. There are no multiple clans in this mess, we are one and we should show a united front. We are all in this and if that means that a few vampires have to run with other clans for the duration, then so be it. Form a plan and hit both of them in one night. Then you won't have any issues about the other finding out."

Bran looked out at the faces that had been looking at the woman. They were nodding, talking about it amongst themselves. With a supreme smile on his face, Bran looked at Keoni.

"It appears that you will get what you desire after all."