Chapter 24

In the minutes after the horrible revelation, Ana rushed back to her apartment. She packed everything she could get her hands on and did it quickly. With the shutters down, she had to rely on the security system to alert her if there was someone out there. Ana hoped to be packed and out of this apartment before that happened.

The only person that might come here was Keoni. He was still sluggish from the sedative. Ana didn't expect him to chase after her. There was little chance of Garlet coming to her apartment unannounced. He might send his goons if there was a concern, but Ana knew that unless she was in danger, they wouldn't approach her or the building. They'd watch from afar and report back to Garlet. He might send one of them to ensure that Ana didn't do anything rash like run away. Which is precisely what she was doing. Except, she didn't plan on going far.

With everything ready, Ana moved into the bathroom and climbed onto the toilet. It sat next to the washer-dryer that had a vent above it. The vent, while functional, also had another purpose. It was a direct path to the unit above her, Ana's other apartment.

It was not the original vent, though. When Ana created the path between the two units, she cut a broader gap to fit through. Finding a vent that suited the larger hole wasn't easy, but she'd done it, and now, the room looked as if it was an ordinary bathroom and laundry combination.

The second unit was the one that was a secret, one that she didn't tell anyone about. Not even Garlet.

Pulling the vent out, Ana pushed her bags up into the apartment before ensuring that everything within the unit was in good order. It was still a mess from when Keoni was abducted, so she quickly picked up the pieces of paper, put the laptop back on the desk and put the linen back on the bed. Then she climbed through the hole in her bathroom ceiling, taking the vent with her.

Sitting on the floor in the second apartment, Ana sighed. It was then that she had a moment to herself where she was not in a panic, trying to escape the past and the monsters that inhabited it.

A tear rolled down her cheek. As she wiped it away, more followed. She searched for positivity but could only remember the frowns and scowls that Keoni would give her. Ana knew it was always attached to something that she'd done or said. Still, given the recent revelation, she wondered if accepting her father's request was all part of his plan and that he never truly cared.

Rather than wallowing in sadness, Ana screwed the bolts tight, then connected the wires for the security system. If someone figured it out and tried to remove the vent, she'd know about it before those screws were pulled free.

Getting up, Ana checked the door that hadn't been opened in a long time. She also turned on the laptop and checked that the security system was still operational. Her eyes narrowed, checking for anyone that might be lurking. So far, there was nothing unusual going on.

Hearing a noise outside, Ana checked the cameras and saw Mister Tinkles was trying to get her attention in the unit downstairs. Raising the shutters enough to open the cat door, she quietly called out to him.

He meowed, purring as he made his way into her unit.

"You and I are going to do a lot of sitting on the lounge chair and eating Tinks. I hope that you're ready for it."

Like he understood, the cat made his way to the lounge. Ana picked up the remote and turned on the television, finding a movie that she hadn't seen in a long time. The cat looked hungry, and Ana figured he was only there to get his second dinner.

"So, you're a fan of fish, but what do you think about crab? It's a little fancier, but I think you can cope."

The smell coming from the chamber caught the cat's attention. He sat up and sniffed the air. Within seconds he was on the counter, walking towards Ana with his incessant meowing. She put the plate down, watching as the cat devoured the food.

"It's like you haven't been fed in a month."

Picking up the ice cream capsule, she put it in the chamber and pressed the buttons. A beep echoed from the laptop. Ana was wary of who was sending her a message. She figured it was Garlet but knew that anything was possible in this wretched city.

Sitting at the desk, Ana took a deep breath and opened the email. It was Garlet's personal email account. Ana understood the gravity of this gesture. Garlet rarely used this email when dealing with employees and associates.

Ana,

I understand that you have a lot of issues with Keoni now that the truth about the past has been revealed, and I assure you that I will not put you in a situation that would force you to face him or your issues. All that I ask of you is that you at least correspond with me so that I know you're alright. I do not need to know where you are, just that you are safe. Keoni was distraught that you did not stay. Naturally, he is worried about you and wants to know that you are safe. I will respect your wishes regarding him but please understand that I will tell him that you are safe. After all, it is only fair.

Garlet.

Ana sighed, rolling her eyes. Yes, it was fair, and she didn't disagree at all, but it didn't make her thoughts and feelings any better.

Rather than being mean, Ana hit the reply and responded to Garlet. She told him that she was fine in a new safe house and that he could tell Keoni.

Ana didn't know if it was the right thing to do. He could have taken the pill and returned to the monster that tried to abduct her. He could have had direct involvement with the death of her family. It might explain why he was alive, except Bran said Pierre had delivered Keoni to him and demanded that he be killed. Ana had no answers but needed them. Now was not the time. She needed a moment to wrap her head around the information and figure out what to do next. At the moment, it was eating ice cream.

It had been a long time since she'd mourned the passing of her family. The return of Keoni and the horrid revelation that came with his past caused the pain to surface once again.