Chapter 35

Ana woke to the sensation of someone jostling her leg. She felt the warm and blissful comfort of bedding that she'd almost forgotten. The thin mattress in her apartment was not comfortable, so Ana had layered soft blankets on it in an attempt to make it better. It was a slight improvement and she slowly grew used to the terrible bedding. Being back in the royal residence with plush bedding was like a dream. That is until the reality of the situation dawned on her.

As her eyes opened, Ana saw a familiar face that was filled with sadness and happiness.

Leearin, her mother's lady-in-waiting. She was a diminutive woman who had once been a little frumpy in her uniform. Now she was thinner. Ana wondered if Normace was rationing the staff meals. It wouldn't surprise her if he was.

Gone was the woman she once knew, replaced with a creature that appeared hollow and less than her former self. Leearin no longer had long hair that was always neatly arranged. Now she had a bob that looked like it had been cut as punishment. Uneven and a little greasy. Ana thought that all of the maids were well kept, but it seemed that things have slipped into a new way of life around here.

There were dark bags under her eyes, made worse by the pale skin. It seemed that life was now minimal. Food, sleep, bathing. Life with the new leader was not ideal.

Leearin offered a bittersweet smile as she clutched Ana's hands.

"My lady," Leearin whispered. "It is so wonderful to see you again, alive and well."

The maid helped Ana sit up, noting that she was still a little woozy.

"And how sad it is that you're here in such circumstances."

"Leearin, you're okay. I thought that monster would have killed all of the staff as well."

"All the staff were allowed to live on the agreement that we continued in our unwavering service to the new leader. We have accepted it but never liked it. His presence was tolerated because he granted us time to bury your family and a day to grieve."

"But what about me?"

Ana couldn't handle the thought that someone had died in her place.

"I don't know what you mean, my lady."

"Pierre told me that a maid was mistaken for me and died as a result."

Leearin frowned, shaking her head.

"No, that is not true. The men that held your family captive and did the horrid deed knew that you were missing. I suspect that they told Pierre that lie to hide the fact that you were not there."

"Are you certain? No one died because of me?"

Clutching her hands, Leearin smiled softly.

"We are all well, and we are coping. He's not your father, that is true but Pierre has moments where he can be reasonable. They are few and far between but we take what we are given. We are not permitted to quit and there are no new staff members so it has been rough. Unfortunately, the future has been altered now that you have returned. Pierre plans to marry you. Did you know that?"

Ana nodded sadly. On the other side of the room was a rather ostentatious dress that, while beautiful, was also horrible. There was no doubt that it was a wedding dress.

Strapless with a sweetheart neckline, the bodice continued down to the skirt, where it flowed out and splayed out on the floorboards. It started with white at the neckline but slowly turned red with an ombre effect that, while stunning, was not what Ana liked. She wondered if Pierre had it made that way to symbolise the dress soaking blood off the floor. The blood of her family.

"I have been sent to dress you."

"In that thing?"

"No," Leearin whispered. "He has granted you a day of mourning. The outfit is over there."

Ana turned her gaze to the dress bag that was draped over a chair.

"But it saddens me to tell you that he will be by your side for the duration."

"Of course, he will be. Can't leave me alone for a day. Fine, let's get this nonsense over with."

Leearin helped Ana dress. It was not the kind of outfit that this city was accustomed to. The dress was a copy of an heirloom, dating back thousands of years. The original was behind glass in a temperature-controlled space that ensured it would not suffer the weather or greasy fingers.

The black silk dress that Ana was wearing was a brilliant copy. The ruffled skirt flowed over the bustle. Made in the same material was a jacket that Ana thought was hiding a bustier. It was tight, and she found moving to be difficult.

Still, she sat and accepted that this was her life. She played by the rules that her father always insisted upon. Now that she knew the truth about her future, Ana understood. She wished her father had enlightened her rather than keeping her in the dark.

Leearin pulled her hair back, pinning the soft veil into place. Ana reached out to the counter in front of her and picked up the gloves. With a sigh, she pulled them on and lifted the veil over her head.

She stood, moving to the door where Leearin was waiting. When she curtseyed and opened the door, Ana gave Leearin a weak smile.

"If there is any good to be found, it is that Pierre has placed me as your lady-in-waiting."

Ana clutched her hand, increasing the smile for the news.

"That is good news. It is a well-appointed position that my mother would approve of. I know that she trusted you to be her lady-in-waiting."

There was a message in that, one that Ana hoped Leearin understood.

"Yes, my lady. I will give you the same level of service."

Ana nodded and turned out of the bedroom. Going through the mourning process and the loss of her entire family was not what she had planned for today and something that she was not thrilled about. It had taken a long time to get over losing them. Now she would rip open the wound and suffer all over again.

Ana knew what this was. Pierre was trying to wear her down. He was trying to break her.

It was a bold move but not unusual. Pierre wanted her to be pliable so that he could get exactly what he wanted without fuss.

As she walked down the corridor to the entrance hall, Ana vowed to remain firm. She would not submit to the monster.