Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Slap

"Well, well, well, if it isn't old four-ey-." Came a snide insult that was stopped instantly when Black realised that I was no longer wearing glasses. It was the first day of my seventh year and over the summer holidays I had convinced Bellas mum - Paula - to let me get contacts.

"Whats the matter?" Bella sneered at them, sticking up for me, as always.

"Can't find anything to criticise now that shes all pretty and doesn't have glasses?" I love her so much.

"You know that was the only insult that actually applied to her." She carried on, and I could see the marauders minds searching for something to insult.

"Shes not fat anymore and hasn't been since second year, her skins not ugly anymore-its clearer than any of yours. Shes almost taller than all of you and is already taller than Pettigrew and Lupin. So actually shes far from short. She was never a slut or whore or bitch or hoe - unlike Black the manwhore - and she doesn't have glasses anymore. Face it. You can't insult her anymore."

They looked stumped until Black said:

"So? We can still hex you and physically hurt you. Anyway, you don't deserve to be in Gryffindor, you're not even brave enough to put your hand up in class!"

I blinked back tears. That stung. I am not in any way shy. I just don't like talking when I know people are gonna criticise me. Better to give them less material to laugh at. I am brave.

"Why aren't you in Slytherin?" I muttered.

"EXCUSE ME!?" He yelled,

"I WILL NOT BE INSULTED LIKE THAT! I COULD NOT IN ANY WAY BE GOOD FOR-"

"Your nasty enough!" I snapped all of a sudden getting angry,

"So are you Potter, you are just arrogant, self-centred, assholes who don't care about anyone but themselves! Bully particular people to the point of self ha-" I cut off, all of a sudden scared. Hopefully they hadn't heard that last part. Only Bella knew I cut. I concealed the scars with magic as they came right from my wrist up to my elbow.

Every day there were new cuts. One for every time they bullied me. I started last year when things got worse.

The boys just stared at me, surprised. In all the years the had bullied me I had never, ever, ever snapped back.

My eyes filled with tears from almost spilling my biggest secret and I rushed into the back corner of the classroom. I buried my head in my arms and sobbed. My body shaking.

Bella glared daggers at them before coming over to me and hugging me. Then Black stepped over and looked me straight in the eyes before slapping me, hard, across the cheek.

Bella stepped up to hit him back.

"Bella," I whispered,

"He's not worth it." She glared at him but stayed back.

The whole left-side of my face was on fire and my chest hurt from crying but all I could think of was the look in Blacks stormy grey eyes before he slapped me. There was definitely anger, but I also saw a hint of something else. Confusion? I think it was. Why though?

Just then the bell rung and I quickly sat up straight and non-verbally said a spell to make my face return to normal. No puffy red eyes and no swollen left cheek. Although it still hurt.

When McGonagall entered the class she took the roll and asked about the absentees. Then she started the lesson. And I decided to prove Black wrong. I could answer questions in class. And from now on I would. Just not so many that people will call me a know-it-all. Also Im going to start looking people in the eye when I talk to them. And I will talk more too. I do so deserve to be in Gryffindor.