Camila said it with a smile, Luz about to ask why. And then—

Luz N.: Ow!

Camila had Luz by the ear. Amity wincing and letting her ears droop.

Camila N.: I will tell Vee, but I think you owe the both of us a more detailed explanation?

Luz nodded.

Luz N.: ¡Sí, Mamá, ! ¡Por favor déjalo ir! ¡Eso duele!

Camila did as Luz begged, and let the pair inside with Luz rubbing her reddened ear tenderly.

Luz N.: Ow...

Luz smiled weakly.

Luz N.: That was better than I expected.

Amity's eyes went wide, staring at her and mouthing a: "Seriously?!"

Vee was on the couch, curled up and watching a cartoon. Mostly trying to mask her nervousness by eating some cereal.

She was about to meet the person she originally impersonated, her girlfriend, and their daughter. So it was expected that she would be on edge the entire week leading up to it.

Would she be angry with her?

Forgiving?

Would that detail even come up?

Luz N.: Hi, Vee!

Vee almost spat out a mouthful from surprise. Waving nervously at her and Amity.

Vee: H—Hi...

Vee's face was red from her voice crack.

At least until Luz made it clear that she was unfazed, asking her if she was okay with them sitting down.

She was, and scooted over. Luz still holding Amity close.

< Three Years Later >

Amity B.: Ah, that's what you meant by ideas.

Luz nodded, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly as they took a walk.

Things had finally begun to clear up a bit when Azura was six months old.

There was still an air of awkwardness, and the pair was forced to accept that it would likely stay for years, at least.

They still had no plans on explaining what had actually happened, after all.

But, Amity was finally healthy enough to maintain a confident composure—even if she still let out some of her frustration in denying assistance from people who suddenly seemed to care.

Sleep was still sometimes—often—an issue. But there was no longer any physical pain attached. And getting up to help Azura was finally split fifty-fifty.

For the most part—aside from a comment here or there—what had happened seemed almost forgotten about to everyone but Luz and Amity. Although they still had a somewhat strained relationship with Edric due to them ghosting him for a few months.

They just hoped it wouldn't extend to their daughter.

Currently, Edric had begged for a day to babysit Azura, to the point where Amity and Luz were on this walk just to allow him that time with his niece.

Well, that wasn't the only reason.

Amity B.: Hey, your palm is sweaty, is everything okay?

Luz's face went red with embarrassment, Amity flinching.